• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the IFB the only true church?

• Members

Missionary Baptist..
This past Saturday night, we played music for a revival service at a missionary baptist church. I know very little about their doctrine but at this particular service the visiting evangelist preached a sound Gospel message. It was from Genesis 37-45, from the King James Bible entitled "Dealing with the Hurt, of being Hurt". It was a convicting message. The pastor also seemed to have a genuine love for people a heart for God. Like I said I know very little about them, but I could sense the Spirit of God there and knew we had been to church. It's not that way in alot of the churches we sing at.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I do have a question that I am curious about. Do the Missionary Baptist have a bad name and if so why?

Actually, there are plenty of good Baptist churches of various flavors in my list, I was just being a bit tongue'n cheek with Bro. Matt.

• Members

Actually, there are plenty of good Baptist churches of various flavors in my list, I was just being a bit tongue'n cheek with Bro. Matt.

Thanks for clarifying. I was a little confused because from what I have experienced they are just like IFBs. I actually consider them IFB. At least the American Baptist Association. I don't know about other Missionary Baptist Churches though.

• Members

Missionary Baptist..
This past Saturday night, we played music for a revival service at a missionary baptist church. I know very little about their doctrine but at this particular service the visiting evangelist preached a sound Gospel message. It was from Genesis 37-45, from the King James Bible entitled "Dealing with the Hurt, of being Hurt". It was a convicting message. The pastor also seemed to have a genuine love for people a heart for God. Like I said I know very little about them, but I could sense the Spirit of God there and knew we had been to church. It's not that way in alot of the churches we sing at.

If it was an ABA church, they are pretty sound in doctrine. My husband actually bought a little booklet on what the ABA believes. I haven't read it yet, but I will soon. I don't know what other Missionary Baptists believe though.

• Members

The American Baptist Association are Baptist briders. They identify with "Landmark" Baptists.

An excerpt from the page Jerry posted....
17. We believe that Jesus Christ established His church during His ministry on earth and that it is always a local, visible assembly of scripturally baptized believers in covenant relationship to carry out the Commission of the Lord Jesus Christ, and each church is an independent, self-governing body, and no other ecclesiastical body may exercise authority over it. We believe that Jesus Christ gave the Great Commission to the New Testament churches only, and that He promised the perpetuity of His churches (Matt. 4:18-22; Matt. 16:18; Matt. 28:19, 20; Mark 1:14-20; John 1:35-51; Eph. 3:21).

I don't see anything about belief in a "baptist bride" here, but of course it could be something they don't reveal here. Edited by heartstrings

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just a note on my humble opinion--there are a lot of Freewill and Missionary BCs all over the area here in KY, WV, and southwest VA. There are also a bunch of CoC around too. From what I've seen, the CoC folks all believe in baptismal salvation and that it can be lost. The Freewill and Missionary Baptist churches are up and down the line like my IFB. I do travel alot with work, so I have to be careful where I go visit if I'm going into unfamiliar territory. I check directories, pastor's names, etc. just trying to find out from a distance if I'm going to hear sound doctrine. I was at a Baptist church recently (nothing else in the name, just Baptist church). They announced they were going to have a healing. I about flipped. But it ended up that a lot of the church members just stood around the person holding hands and praying for them. It turned out to be completely different than the way it was announced. And we all prayed for God to work in his own way for that person. It was very sweet. I have wondered since what I would have done had the preacher knocked the person in the head and yelled "heal!" I guess I'd have walked out.

I know this is just one guy's opinion, but I hope it helped somebody.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, in answer to the original question, I'd have to say that I don't think there is any church that has everything 100% correct. So, to use the term "only true church" to describe any one denomination or local body would be a mistake. The "only true church" is the invisible body of believers in Christ.

Curious. You use the word "invisible" to refer to the Lord's "only true church." In what sense do you view the church as invisible?

• Members

Curious. You use the word "invisible" to refer to the Lord's "only true church." In what sense do you view the church as invisible?

The church, as in every single person who is saved, is the spiritual body of Christ, which is His church. No believer is excluded, and it has absolutely nothing to do with a name on a sign.

http://ricksarticles.blogspot.com/2010/07/chain-that-breaks-baptist-bride.html

• Members

The church, as in every single person who is saved, is the spiritual body of Christ, which is His church. No believer is excluded, and it has absolutely nothing to do with a name on a sign.

http://ricksarticles.blogspot.com/2010/07/chain-that-breaks-baptist-bride.html

I renew my question, In what sense is it invisible? I do not disagree with you that every saved person is in the Lord's church; the Bible certainly teaches that (Acts 2:38, 41, 47). As to the issue of "no believer being excluded, I would simply say that depends on how you define a believer. James 2)

As to the importance of the name, I do not agree with you on that....there is but one name (Christian) which is important.

• Members

Please can someone explain what a baptist brider is? I think someone did previously but I have forgotten.

Someone who believes the Baptist church is the only true church, and that spiritually they are the Bride of Christ. Every other saved person is just a guest at the wedding. That would include Martin Luther, John Huss, and John Wesley.

They, apparently, weren't special enough in the eyes of these elitist numbskulls.