• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is the IFB the only true church?

• Members
I would shy away from "church of God" simply for the fact that there is a denomination which uses the name.

Wonder why you can't be consistent? You won't use the term "church of God" because it is the name of a denomination - but you will use the term "church of Christ", which is the name of your denomination/cult.

• Members

Wonder why you can't be consistent? You won't use the term "church of God" because it is the name of a denomination - but you will use the term "church of Christ", which is the name of your denomination/cult.

I am not being inconsistent. The fact that you choose to insist that I belong to a cult/denomination does not make it so. You are incorrect and I have repeatedly shown that to be the case.

Let's be clear on what I said, I stated that I shy away from the term not that I do not ever use it.

• Members

The history and doctrine of the "denomination" entitled the "church of Christ" started by Campbell shows that it is a cult. It teaches another gospel - one of works to be saved and works for salvation to be maintained. That makes it a cult.

• Members

I am not being inconsistent. The fact that you choose to insist that I belong to a cult/denomination does not make it so. You are incorrect and I have repeatedly shown that to be the case.

Let's be clear on what I said, I stated that I shy away from the term not that I do not ever use it.

The Bible makes it so, why? Becasue as I said before, coc teachings do not match the teachings within the Holy Bible.

• Members

Hello CoC333, what is it that you really want to know exactly? I used to be CoC. Are you the "united", "non-instrumental", or "Christian Church" branch of CoC? (I suppose there could be others, these are just the ones I'm aware of.) To answer one of your questions in your OP directly, IFB's do not believe that they are the only saved people (or church) on the planet; though, I have heard it said that at least some CoC churches teach such about the CoC church.

• Members

Sorry, I've made not false statement.

Yes, I know well that the coc depends on baptism, and not on Christ.

This statement is why I am no longer CoC. We did not know that until much later when we learned more about their doctrine. (his parents were CoC)
The above statement I highlighted in pink is a grave error, and many people will end up in hell because of the false teaching that baptism saves.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Could someone please clarify your beliefs? I notice that you list several "false" religions. I am not disputing that most of the religions you list are in fact false; clearly I and the Bible refutes your idea of the church of Christ being a false religion.

But, to the point, do you believe that the IFB is the only true church? If not, what are some other true churches/religions?

I thank all who provide information on this.

We keep the Bible as our instruction manual, we do not go away from the Bible or teach anything that is not in the Bible. The only word we use that is not in the Bible is Rapture, but that means a snatching or taking away. So to answer your question, I would say anyone who follows the Bible and does not add or take away will be doing what the true church did as we do. :twocents:

• Members

We keep the Bible as our instruction manual, we do not go away from the Bible or teach anything that is not in the Bible. The only word we use that is not in the Bible is Rapture, but that means a snatching or taking away. So to answer your question, I would say anyone who follows the Bible and does not add or take away will be doing what the true church did as we do. :twocents:

By "we" are you meaning your IFB church or are you implying all IFB churches? I ask this because I know there is a growing trend of IFB churches changing course, watering down, and becoming more "mainstream". I've seen this in my own area.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

If I may break in here, I have an observation regarding Independent Baptists. First, they couldn't have been around at Pentecost, because Baptists don't speak in tongues! Second, where are all the Baptist documents and writings prior to the 16th century?

• Members

If I may break in here, I have an observation regarding Independent Baptists. First, they couldn't have been around at Pentecost, because Baptists don't speak in tongues! Second, where are all the Baptist documents and writings prior to the 16th century?

Baptists don't claim there were "Baptists" since Pentecost but that those who truely followed Christ eventually came to be known as Baptists.

The Roman Catholic Church persecuted the first Baptists extensively which is why there is little surviving of their earliest times. At the time of the Reformation one Catholic priest or bishop commented that (it's recorded in writing and we still have this today) that had the RCC not been so hotly persecuting the Baptists for the past thousand years the RCC would be facing much worse at that time.

With regards to speaking in tongues, Baptists don't speak in unbiblical "tongues" as some Charismatics and others do, but there have been instances of Baptists who spoke in biblical tongues while serving in foreign lands taking the Gospel to the unreached.

• Members

Baptists don't claim there were "Baptists" since Pentecost but that those who truely followed Christ eventually came to be known as Baptists.

The Roman Catholic Church persecuted the first Baptists extensively which is why there is little surviving of their earliest times. At the time of the Reformation one Catholic priest or bishop commented that (it's recorded in writing and we still have this today) that had the RCC not been so hotly persecuting the Baptists for the past thousand years the RCC would be facing much worse at that time.

With regards to speaking in tongues, Baptists don't speak in unbiblical "tongues" as some Charismatics and others do, but there have been instances of Baptists who spoke in biblical tongues while serving in foreign lands taking the Gospel to the unreached.

What were they known as before they were known as Baptist?

What is surviving of their earliest times?

• Members

What were they known as before they were known as Baptist?

What is surviving of their earliest times?

You'll have to ask those who really study this. I could provide some names but since I've not checked into them enough myself, I won't pass them on.

By the accounts of the RCC, Baptists existed at least a thounsand years before Martin Luther. So at whatever point these Believers began calling themselves Baptists over a thousand years prior to Martin Luther, up to about then would be their earliest times.

• Members

You'll have to ask those who really study this. I could provide some names but since I've not checked into them enough myself, I won't pass them on.

By the accounts of the RCC, Baptists existed at least a thounsand years before Martin Luther. So at whatever point these Believers began calling themselves Baptists over a thousand years prior to Martin Luther, up to about then would be their earliest times.

So, approximately sometime in and around the 7th century?

• Members

So, approximately sometime in and around the 7th century?

Personally, I'm not that interested in it or I would have remembered more about what I read along these lines. For myelf it's not important when Baptists were first called Baptists but there are others who take great interest in this. You'll have to ask one of them for solid answers regarding this.