• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Funeral song, really!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I've only been in one church service where a woman would raise her arms from time to time. It was a revival service that I attended to hear a friend preach. After the service I asked a friend who attended that church about her. He told me she had moved off for several years and recently moved back home. During the time she was away she attended one of those charismatic churches. Said she was slowly starting to leave off the ways that the charismatic church had taught her. But still once in a while she would raises her arms in the air. He also stated no one in their church had spoke to her about it. I think they handled it properly.

I might add, in recent years a few of the Baptist Churches in these parts have stopped giving the hearty Amen's, and started the clapping. I'm 100% for the hearty amens.

I might add, the hearty amen is very biblical.

Here in texas it is not that uncommon in some IFB churches and has been not uncommon for at least 20 years which is about as far back as I can remember. :wink The degree varies from church to church and person to person of course though. It is interesting that you say in your area that some baptist churches stopped amening and started clapping. In this area it seems to be different. The churches that folks sometimes raise their hands in seem to amen quite a bit while the churches that don't hardly ever do. I don't know exactly why this is since I don't think anyone is against an "amen" per se, pastors usually try to encourage it, but perhaps it is due to a reluctance to draw attention to ones self as giving an "amen" can do.

FYI the church I have attended for the past several years hardly ever has anyone raise their hands or give an amen. I don't have a prOBlem with that and I personally am not prone to do either in public, but it does not bother me if someone else does occasionally. In the past I have attended churches where both amening and hand raising was more common.

• Members

It was about 25 years back when I saw the 1st person raise their arms in a Baptist Church. I might mentioned, the friend I went to hear preach at that revival died from a heart attack shortly after that. Boy, I was so glad I made the effort to drive way up in the country side that night. A few years later his younger brother who I had never know surrendered to preach and was my pastor for a few years.

During those days, prior to them, and up to perhaps 10 or so years back, most Baptist Churches had the hearty amen's in them throughout this area.

Now, this is just my opinion, I think its slacked off in Baptist Churches around here because of the behavior of those who attend the charismatic churches. I've never know but one Baptist pastor who did not like the amen's, I never did figure that man out, he will always be a puzzle to me.

As for me, during a preaching service I would amen quietly several times, them on what I deemed special points I would give a good hearty amen. As a pastor I love amen's. If I attend funeral services in a funeral home I will generally keep quite. If I attend a funeral service in a church that I'm not familiar with, I will not amen out loud unless I hear someone else do so. I recall 2 different funerals I've attended in recent years where there was one person setting in the family section that gave several good hearty amen's.

One of the men in our church some time back thanked me for saying amen to certain points while he is leading a prayer, he told me that was a real encouragement for him. I just replied, encourage me once in a while, I just might preach myself to death so that y'all can get rid of me. At that moment it did not dawn on him was I had just said, but did so later on and mentioned it to me.

I think a person who is attending a church they have never been to before, it they are of the hand raising persuasion, if they don't see any hand raising that it would be best, plus show respect, if they would refrain from raising theirs. That is my humble opinion, and I try to live by it when I'm visiting a church.

There is a verse in the New Testament had pointed out to me years ago by a pastor on this subject, but I can't remember it right off.

• Members

Here in texas it is not that uncommon in some IFB churches and has been not uncommon for at least 20 years which is about as far back as I can remember. :wink The degree varies from church to church and person to person of course though. It is interesting that you say in your area that some baptist churches stopped amening and started clapping. In this area it seems to be different. The churches that folks sometimes raise their hands in seem to amen quite a bit while the churches that don't hardly ever do. I don't know exactly why this is since I don't think anyone is against an "amen" per se, pastors usually try to encourage it, but perhaps it is due to a reluctance to draw attention to ones self as giving an "amen" can do.

FYI the church I have attended for the past several years hardly ever has anyone raise their hands or give an amen. I don't have a prOBlem with that and I personally am not prone to do either in public, but it does not bother me if someone else does occasionally. In the past I have attended churches where both amening and hand raising was more common.

I always hated drawing attention to myself. that's pretty much it.

I was raised not to be loud, rude, showoff, etc in churches, funeral homes, libraries, schools, etc.. It doesn't mean I don't have a spiritual prOBlem because of it.

• Members

While I don't think that the subject of hand clapping comes under the original post and prOBably requires a new thread, I have this to offer.

Our preacher at our last Lord's Day service was John McDonald, secretary of the Grace Baptist Mission. He told us of his recent visit to India and showed us a presentation of it. everal aof the churches do not have any instrumentalists and have to rely on drums and clapping of hands to keep time for the hymns.

We do not have either raising of hands or clapping in our service, although wed do have the occasional amen.

• Members
One person made such a statement to me not long back' date=' I replied, "If you would attend church with me for a few Sundays, you would hear these songs, for [i']these songs you call funeral songs are regularly sang in our church."

Fair enough as long as the song in question wasn't Chopin's Piano Sonata no.2. :wink

• Members

While I don't think that the subject of hand clapping comes under the original post and prOBably requires a new thread, I have this to offer.

Our preacher at our last Lord's Day service was John McDonald, secretary of the Grace Baptist Mission. He told us of his recent visit to India and showed us a presentation of it. everal aof the churches do not have any instrumentalists and have to rely on drums and clapping of hands to keep time for the hymns.

We do not have either raising of hands or clapping in our service, although wed do have the occasional amen.

Hey, to sing songs without a musical instrument you do not have to clap your hands nor stomp your feet. I have been in many songs services at churches that did not have a piano player and we did not clap our hands, nor stomp our feet, and I might say, the song services were great.

I might add, neither was they little instrument that many of the coc song leaders use to blow on in order to sing on key was not used either.

Remember, we are a peculiar people, that is we don't pick up the ways of the world, we don't conform to the ways of the world, but we are transformed.

Tit

• Members

Fair enough as long as the song in question wasn't Chopin's Piano Sonata no.2. :wink

No sir Carl, it was nothing like Chopin, it was just good old hymns, such as: Trust and OBey, Precious Name, I Need Thee Every Hour, Tell me The Old, Old Story, At The Cross, Down At The Cross, How Great Thou Art, Just A Closer Walk With Thee, Father Along, I Shall Not be Moved, This World Is Not My Home, There Is Power In The Blood, It Is Well With My Soul, I Surrender All, If We Never Meet Again, I know Who Holds Tomorrow, When The Saints God Marching Home, Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed, Lily Of The Valley, In The Sweet By and By, I Am Thine Lord, and so on. :saint2:

• Members

First of all, I will restate what I said in my original post. If your church does not clap or raise your hands during a service, that is fine. This is to keep my from being clothes lined by anyone. I would also like to say that I rarely clap in a church service or raise my hands. Other people in my church are comfortable with doing these things and are not offended by anyone doing them.

To be honest, the only arguments I have seen against hand clapping are slippery slopes. There has been a lack of Biblical evidence to show that these practices in the church are wrong. Now, don't be getting too excited yet. There is also a way these things shouldn't be used. They can be abused like many things in the church.

• Members

No sir Carl, it was nothing like Chopin, it was just good old hymns, such as: Trust and OBey, Precious Name, I Need Thee Every Hour, Tell me The Old, Old Story, At The Cross, Down At The Cross, How Great Thou Art, Just A Closer Walk With Thee, Father Along, I Shall Not be Moved, This World Is Not My Home, There Is Power In The Blood, It Is Well With My Soul, I Surrender All, If We Never Meet Again, I know Who Holds Tomorrow, When The Saints God Marching Home, Alas! and Did My Savior Bleed, Lily Of The Valley, In The Sweet By and By, I Am Thine Lord, and so on.

How Great Thou Art is a top hymn. I think more use needs to be made of the totally a-Biblical argument that modern worship music is bad because it is bad--i.e. the the melodies are rubbish, the words are hackneyed and boring and the instruments used just don't work in the acoustics of a church. I'm not a musician and even I can see that.

• Members

My m-i-l told me how she hated country musics. Said that " she couldn't understand how people think 'hollering' is music" Or something like that.

I told her, "there are people who think heavy metal is screaming , Rap is all talking, Opera is yelling (or something like that), Bluegrass is pots and pans, and so on

but for some reasons, people find music in those things". So even if you tell them it sounds bad even in churches, they still think it is music to their ears.

• Members

My m-i-l told me how she hated country musics. Said that " she couldn't understand how people think 'hollering' is music" Or something like that.

I told her, "there are people who think heavy metal is screaming , Rap is all talking, Opera is yelling (or something like that), Bluegrass is pots and pans, and so on

but for some reasons, people find music in those things". So even if you tell them it sounds bad even in churches, they still think it is music to their ears.

John, I like most country music, but I refuse to listen to it, for most of its trash, and about glorying the use of drugs, alcohol, cheating, and so on. I'm not going to allow that trash into my mind. Yes I know, if you listen to a radio station playing country music, all of it will not be trash, but much of it will.

• Members

yes, I agree too. In fact, that's what started the conversation with my MIL...I told her I like some country musics, but I didn't like the "My babe left me for another man so I'm going to drown my sorrow with beer" type of country musics and the "hollering" was her reply.

Carl, I"m doing great, and I hope you are too.