• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Funeral song, really!

• Members

I feel sure most of you have heard people say, that's a funeral song, the only place you will hear it is at a funeral. One person made such a statement to me not long back, I replied, "If you would attend church with me for a few Sundays, you would hear these songs, for these songs you call funeral songs are regularly sang in our church."

To me when anyone makes such a statement, I instantly know they do not attend church, at least not in a church that plays godly hymns.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel sure most of you have heard people say, that's a funeral song, the only place you will hear it is at a funeral. One person made such a statement to me not long back, I replied, "If you would attend church with me for a few Sundays, you would hear these songs, for these songs you call funeral songs are regularly sang in our church."

To me when anyone makes such a statement, I instantly know they do not attend church, at least not in a church that plays godly hymns.

I agree but also disagree somewhat.... I think sometimes good church going people also refer to "funeral music" in a church but not in the way you mention. I've heard many church services where the old time hymns were being sung but they were not being sung "in truth." They were beings sung with a "dead spirit." I like good spirited hymn singing and sadly, many times the song service is "dead." So in that respect, traditional hymns can sound like a "funeral service."

But funny, at the request of the families, most funerals I have a part in are purposely "upbeat" and "joyous" because it is a celebration of a loved one going to heaven. So the "funeral music" allusion isn't even always accurate!

But Jerry8.... I know what you are saying and I too will stick with the old hymns!

• Members

Holster I am going to agree with you. At one church I was a member of, they did sing as if someone had just died. There was no enthusiasm or emotion in their voices. They just sang the words without comprehension.

As for people saying this song is a funeral song, I think that argument gets old real fast. I guess people are okay with the shallowness of many of the newer songs. I love hymns because they are rich in doctrine, and they actually mention the name of Jesus instead of saying you all the time. They use you so much for Christ that you could be a euphemism for His name.

• Members

I think that "The Lord's my shepherd" is one of the most used hymns at funerals here.

One old lady we knew at a previous church always gave a new pastor her funeral hymn, "Sweeping through the gates of the new Jerusalem." (I think it starts "Who who are these..") My wife said she could just imagine her sweeping through the gates of the new Jerusalem.

I told a pastor I wanted "Oh how the grace of God amazes me." He said it was too long.

• Members

What do you call dead. people who don't dance around in church, don't wiggle their bodies, don't jump up and down, can't stand still while singing, don't wave their arms in the air, don't tap their foot, and ect, when they're singing and or songs are being sung?

If it is, them you would think our music is dead and I would prOBably feel completely at ease in the church that did such things. I remember a few years back and elderly lady called me to ask my opinion. She had recently attended the ending of the local Southern Baptist Churches Vacation Bible School program. She told me that the age group of 6 to 10 year old lined up in front singing a very spirited song. The girls dressed in everything from dresses to shorts, the boys in everything from dress pants to shorts. As they sing their song they dances around moving their bodies, swaying their hips back and forth, said they even turned their backs to the congregations while doing this. She wanted to know what I thought about it. My reply, they are not teaching those children to be godly, but worldly. Later that week I was able to watch this as they broadcasted it on our little local TV station. I must say, it was even worse than she described it. For even older boys and girls, 11 to 16 I suppose, did the same thing dressed in the same type of clothes. After the program the pastor made some comments, of how proud all of them could be for teaching these young children in their church to be godly. It would not be a big step for these children to step into a strip joint, they already had been taught the moves in Vacation Bible school.

I recall several years back our pastor had a nephew from out of town visiting. That Sunday morning he sang a special. I suppose he thought our church was dead in spirit. For he kept trying to get us to clap our hands and stomp our feet while he was singing. Oh, he sang the song right good, and he got several hearty amen's when he finished. After church I found out he attended one of those churches that dances around, claps their hands, waves this hands in the air, anytime music was being played or sung, and there he was trying to get us to go that route too.

Several years back I was at a coffee shop with a few people. I don't remember just what prOBlem it was but a lady needed help starting her car at home. Another fellow and I when to her house to help here in my old truck for I had jumper cables as well as most any tool we might need. Just so happen I had a tape in my tape player that had church hymns playing. He made the comment, "Boy I really like those songs, you never hear good songs like that no more, do you?"

I replied, "Oh, I hear them quite often, generally every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday nights at church services. If you would attend church I promise you, you could hear them too." He quickly changed the subject.

Actually what I was referring to is people who never go to church, so the only time they hear any hymns at all is at a funeral service, songs such as Farther Along, Precious Memories, as well as other such song commonly used at funeral services.

• Members

What do you call dead. people who don't dance around in church, don't wiggle their bodies, don't jump up and down, can't stand still while singing, don't wave their arms in the air, don't tap their foot, and ect, when they're singing and or songs are being sung?

No No No! Dead is when people sing with no meaning. Going thru the motions. Singing just because it's singing time. Lively singing has nothing to do with body. It has to do with one's spirit and WHY they are singing. The best singing I've ever heard has come from congregations that are not "moving" but standing and singing out loud for their Lord.

Actually what I was referring to is people who never go to church, so the only time they hear any hymns at all is at a funeral service, songs such as Farther Along, Precious Memories, as well as other such song commonly used at funeral services.

Farther Along and Precious Memories are great songs. I just don't equate this to "funeral music." In my mind, when someone says "This is funeral music." they are referring to (prOBably) a poor organ player who is doing their best but playing SO SLOW you can't sing to it. (As a song leader as well as preacher... I've been there. I've had some very nice, Godly people who just can't play... they go so slow and have such poor timing you literally can't sing with them.) I don't condemn them.. bless their hearts, they are doing their best for God. But the resulting song service is more like "funeral music" than happy singing for the Lord.

"Funeral Music" to me alludes to the slow "sad" organ music often played at non-church funerals (usually pre-lude and post-lude).

• Members

If it is, them you would think our music is dead and I would prOBably feel completely at ease in the church that did such things. I remember a few years back and elderly lady called me to ask my opinion. She had recently attended the ending of the local Southern Baptist Churches Vacation Bible School program. She told me that the age group of 6 to 10 year old lined up in front singing a very spirited song. The girls dressed in everything from dresses to shorts, the boys in everything from dress pants to shorts. As they sing their song they dances around moving their bodies, swaying their hips back and forth, said they even turned their backs to the congregations while doing this. She wanted to know what I thought about it. My reply, they are not teaching those children to be godly, but worldly. Later that week I was able to watch this as they broadcasted it on our little local TV station. I must say, it was even worse than she described it. For even older boys and girls, 11 to 16 I suppose, did the same thing dressed in the same type of clothes. After the program the pastor made some comments, of how proud all of them could be for teaching these young children in their church to be godly. It would not be a big step for these children to step into a strip joint, they already had been taught the moves in Vacation Bible school.

I recall several years back our pastor had a nephew from out of town visiting. That Sunday morning he sang a special. I suppose he thought our church was dead in spirit. For he kept trying to get us to clap our hands and stomp our feet while he was singing. Oh, he sang the song right good, and he got several hearty amen's when he finished. After church I found out he attended one of those churches that dances around, claps their hands, waves this hands in the air, anytime music was being played or sung, and there he was trying to get us to go that route too.

Several years back I was at a coffee shop with a few people. I don't remember just what prOBlem it was but a lady needed help starting her car at home. Another fellow and I when to her house to help here in my old truck for I had jumper cables as well as most any tool we might need. Just so happen I had a tape in my tape player that had church hymns playing. He made the comment, "Boy I really like those songs, you never hear good songs like that no more, do you?"

I replied, "Oh, I hear them quite often, generally every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday nights at church services. If you would attend church I promise you, you could hear them too." He quickly changed the subject.

I am not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but I have a question for you Jerry#s. Do you believe it is wrong to raise your hands during praise to your King? Also, do you believe it is wrong to clap your hands to the music during a service? Don't get me wrong; there is not a prOBlem if your church doesn't do these things. I am just wondering if you believe them to be wrong.

• Members

I've only been in one church service where a woman would raise her arms from time to time. It was a revival service that I attended to hear a friend preach. After the service I asked a friend who attended that church about her. He told me she had moved off for several years and recently moved back home. During the time she was away she attended one of those charismatic churches. Said she was slowly starting to leave off the ways that the charismatic church had taught her. But still once in a while she would raises her arms in the air. He also stated no one in their church had spoke to her about it. I think they handled it properly.

I might add, in recent years a few of the Baptist Churches in these parts have stopped giving the hearty Amen's, and started the clapping. I'm 100% for the hearty amens.

I might add, the hearty amen is very biblical.

Nu