• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cremation - worth preaching on?

• Members

I lookled up a few examples in the Bible....

Sarah's body was respected and buried in a cave Genesis 23:19-20
Elisha's body was placed in a sepulchre 2Kings 13:21
Jesus' body was respected, prepared and buried in a tomb Matthew 27:58-61

The Biblical, Christian example appears to be the burial of an intact body, so I would say, yes, though the Word of God doesn't say "thou shalt not cremate", it does give Biblical examples. SO, I want to follow Jesus' example don't you? I think I'll stick with conventional burial. However......I don't see it as a SIN if anyone chooses to do that UNLESS, like I said already, they are doing it for a pagan or otherwise ungodly reason.

• Moderators

Had an interesting realization this morning concerning the cost differential between cremation/burial.

Though many don't -- most Americans have life insurance or VA benefits (or both). Most life insurance policies will cover a modest burial.

I wonder how many people's cremation motive is --- look @ the extra available money from the policy (vs getting a larger policy in the 1st place)?

• Members

I lookled up a few examples in the Bible....

Sarah's body was respected and buried in a cave Genesis 23:19-20
Elisha's body was placed in a sepulchre 2Kings 13:21
Jesus' body was respected, prepared and buried in a tomb Matthew 27:58-61

The Biblical, Christian example appears to be the burial of an intact body, so I would say, yes, though the Word of God doesn't say "thou shalt not cremate", it does give Biblical examples. SO, I want to follow Jesus' example don't you? I think I'll stick with conventional burial. However......I don't see it as a SIN if anyone chooses to do that UNLESS, like I said already, they are doing it for a pagan or otherwise ungodly reason.

And many OT patriarchs married the heathen and had more than one wife. That doesn't mean the practice is a "Christian example" that we should follow. (obviously)- Just because an OT saint did something does not mean it is a Biblical command nor that it was even proper.

Let me please be clear... I am not trying to be "difficult" in any way. I'm finding this thread to be very interesting and I learn sometimes by "challenging". I totally and wholehearted agree that one CAN make a case for burial only... but... I still have not seen a clear Biblical condemnation of cremation nor a clear Biblical support for burial ONLY.

Thanks for great "debate" all.... If my posts ever come of as "tough" or "short" (rude) I assure you.. that was not the intent... EVER....

• Members

And many OT patriarchs married the heathen and had more than one wife. That doesn't mean the practice is a "Christian example" that we should follow. (obviously)- Just because an OT saint did something does not mean it is a Biblical command nor that it was even proper.

Let me please be clear... I am not trying to be "difficult" in any way. I'm finding this thread to be very interesting and I learn sometimes by "challenging". I totally and wholehearted agree that one CAN make a case for burial only... but... I still have not seen a clear Biblical condemnation of cremation nor a clear Biblical support for burial ONLY.

Thanks for great "debate" all.... If my posts ever come of as "tough" or "short" (rude) I assure you.. that was not the intent... EVER....

Hey bro, did I say it was a "biblical command"? The reason I said it was a CHRISTIAN example was because CHRIST's whole intact body, sir, was placed in a tomb. And yes, whatever Christ did IS and example for us. Sorry I mentioned the "old testament saints" because that's what you chose to point out while ignoring the other. Did yoiu even read this part?
However......I don't see it as a SIN if anyone chooses to do that UNLESS, like I said already, they are doing it for a pagan or otherwise ungodly reason.

• Members

Hey bro, did I say it was a "biblical command"? The reason I said it was a CHRISTIAN example was because CHRIST's whole intact body, sir, was placed in a tomb. And yes, whatever Christ did IS and example for us. Sorry I mentioned the "old testament saints" because that's what you chose to point out while ignoring the other. Did yoiu even read this part?

I apologize. I thought my post explained my "challenge." I meant nothing at all. I'm sorry I even started the thread...

Think I'll lay low for awhile.... bye... :saint2:

• Members

Within the Bible is many examples, both good and bad. As I earlier stated and gave this verse.

Ro 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Of course, we have to study the Word.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

So that we can divide it rightly so that we will be following Jesus' example.

Of course we should not follow the example that Sampson set, he set some very bad examples as did many others, but God chose to reveal even the bad that many did to us.

As for being buried and not cremated, the numerous examples of God's people not being cremated, but buried, that's good enough for me, and I will not have a family member cremated and my request will be to be buried, simply because I want to do that is right in the sight of God.

One thing for sure, the person who is cremates their loved one and or request that they're cremated and spreads their ashes about or place them in a container and puts them in a prominent place in their house is NOT following Jesus nor the manner in which God did with Moses.

I might add, God never promised us that His was would be the easiest, not the cheapest. And we know, mans way is not God's way, mans thoughts are not God's thoughts.

Guest jackportd

Hi guys

The holy grail of anti-cremationites use Amos 2:1 and say it is condemning cremation. That is like saying Genesis 38:9 condemns birth control. Amos 2:1 wasn't talking about the method of cremation, it was talking about the callous way in which they destroyed his body. Just like Genesis 38 wasn't talking about a method of birth control, it was talking about going against Gods wishes by not fathering his brothers child.

• Members

Hi guys

The holy grail of anti-cremationites use Amos 2:1 and say it is condemning cremation. That is like saying Genesis 38:9 condemns birth control. Amos 2:1 wasn't talking about the method of cremation, it was talking about the callous way in which they destroyed his body. Just like Genesis 38 wasn't talking about a method of birth control, it was talking about going against Gods wishes by not fathering his brothers child.

I don't think anyone based it on one verse, but the many examples we have within the Bible of the believer being buried, not cremated. Yes that one verse does not show cremation in a good light.

• Moderators

Not all Christians can afford a burial. The average burial in America costs about 7,500-9,000 dollars while cremation costs about 500-600 dollars. Not all believers are Joel Olsten rich.

The reason I listed cost of MODEST funeral is because, like weddings,
AVG cost includes all the extravagant ones. Depending on the container and services, cremations can run $10K (modest ones are $1K and under)

According to CDC in 2007 -- 15% of Americans have NO health insurance (the 40% figured used in screaming for gvmt care is "inadequate" or "unaffordable") and 3.2% have NO life insurance.

As stated before - MOST Americans have life insurance, therefore most Americans can afford modest burial.

I still wonder how many cremations are really in order to pocket the extra ins money.

• Members

Don't worry, I am not offended because some disagree with me here. I do agree that burial is an example, and not an outright command - but should we not be following the Biblical patterns and examples? I cannot agree with the mentality that our culture does not do such and such or it doesn't hold the same significance to us today so we don't need to do it the Biblical way.

I was not trying to be offensive or knock someone who does not see it "my way" - and if that is the way I came across, I apologize because that was not my intent. If our desire is to follow the Biblical patterns/examples, can't we trust God to provide for this need to? I truly do not think any of us is walking in faith if we reject a Biblical principle or example because of money. If there are other reasons or someone is not convinced of that principle, then that is different - but if someone's primary argument is that burial is too expensive so cremation is preferred, where is walking by faith?

• Members

The reason I listed cost of MODEST funeral is because, like weddings,
AVG cost includes all the extravagant ones. Depending on the container and services, cremations can run $10K (modest ones are $1K and under)

According to CDC in 2007 -- 15% of Americans have NO health insurance (the 40% figured used in screaming for gvmt care is "inadequate" or "unaffordable") and 3.2% have NO life insurance.

As stated before - MOST Americans have life insurance, therefore most Americans can afford modest burial.

I still wonder how many cremations are really in order to pocket the extra ins money.

I not debating the issue, but I feel the uninsured rate is higher than 15%. I know quite a few people who work at jobs with no benefits. I use to know several people who worked at job where they could have insurance, but chose not to have it so they would have more take home pay.

Amazing to me is the amount of money some will spend on weddings and funerals, and to me it does not prove their marriage is better & will last longer & or they have more love for their loved ones.

I do know of a family or two who used cremation because of greed. You know, in some families when a death comes is when you see lots of greed exposed.

• Moderators

I not debating the issue, but I feel the uninsured rate is higher than 15%. I know quite a few people who work at jobs with no benefits. I use to know several people who worked at job where they could have insurance, but chose not to have it so they would have more take home pay.

Amazing to me is the amount of money some will spend on weddings and funerals, and to me it does not prove their marriage is better & will last longer & or they have more love for their loved ones.

I do know of a family or two who used cremation because of greed. You know, in some families when a death comes is when you see lots of greed exposed.

I'm not saying 15% is an accurate figure -- it's the one CDC reported.
Some working people qualify for Medicare, some for Medicaid -- the law makers are counting those as "inadequate" insurance (under-insured) and needing health care reform.

Of course, that appears to be the model for what they want all of us on in order to deed it "adequate".