• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cremation - worth preaching on?

• Members

All of the Bible should be preached at one time or another - that is where expository preaching comes into place. It might not be important enough of an issue to cover as a separate message in itself, but it has its place in certain passages, and as those passages are preached through, it can be touched on and explained Biblically.

I'll second what he said.

• Members

As far as preaching against cremation when there are more things we could preach about - since when is any part of the Word of God not worth preaching on?

In North America, it might not be that big of an issue (but the fact that there is a discussion thread on it means that there are many even here that do not know what the Bible teaches about it), but certainly in more pagan countries such as those that teach reincarnation, it certainly would be something to preach more regularly for testimonies sake (ie. showing them why the body is to be buried and showing what is wrong with cremating in relation - if the culture you are in believes that cremation is important to release the soul from the body).

All of the Bible should be preached at one time or another - that is where expository preaching comes into place. It might not be important enough of an issue to cover as a separate message in itself, but it has its place in certain passages, and as those passages are preached through, it can be touched on and explained Biblically.

That is so true, we are to be obedient in all ways, if we fail to teach and preach all truths, them we have failed. All truths are worthwhile and have their place in Jesus' Churches.

• Members

Cremation is cheaper around here, I suppose its that way everywhere.

So many feel they have to spend a ton of money on their loved on when they die, and if they don't many will whisper behind the family's back, poor people, they have no money nor love.

As for me I feel its silly to spend a ton of money to bury a loved one, we ought to show our love and prove our love for our loved one while they yet live. After their death we prove nothing by spending money we don't have and or could spend on something more worthwhile. For after all, when we put a loved one in a casket to be placed in the ground, if they're saved, they will not be there very long, for when Jesus comes for His own they will be resurrected to meet their soul in the air, them we who are alive will be caught up together with them and be with the Lord forever.

If they're lost, of course they will have to lay in their caskets quite a bit longer, but even at that they to will be resurrected to stand before the great white throne before being cast into the lake of fire where they will be forever.

But we must remember, we are in this world, even though its not our home, but we must resist to become as they are, even when we lose a loved one.

Ro

• Members

Cremation- Worth preaching on?

In my mind, that's like preaching on whether you throw away your newspapers or use them to light up the fireplace. It's almost completely irrelevant. I can see if this were another culture where cremation was tied to some pagan practice- but here it's not. Some people might grasp at straws and suggest that people should be buried as a testimony to their future resurrection, but one could also preach that they want to be burnt up as a testimony to Gods almighty power (to piece us back together molecule by molecule).

So in the end, if there can be any good that can come from a sermon of this topic, I'm all for it. Otherwise it sounds like it would be nothing more than a bunch of man-made opinion.

• Members

I still maintain that not every topic needs preaching from the pulpit. How about a sermon on 2 Kings 18.27 next Sunday? I think wisdom would have me do otherwise.

Being only a year into this church I have participated in more funerals than I care to (this is an elderly congregation) and most involved cremation. If I preached the "error of cremation" next Sunday I'd lose half my congregation and I would deem it insensitive to those who have just lost loved ones.

Does that mean I ignore it? No. You teach when asked, and when appropriate. In my situation this is more a topic to be discussed with the individual... not from the pulpit.

Mt 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

• Moderators

I thought the Catholic church was big time against cremation, which would make me think there is probably nothing wrong with it to be found in the Scriptures!

They are big time against murder too (so-called mortal sin)