• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Few Questions For Those Who Are KJV-Only.

I have a few questions for those who are KJV-Only:
1: Do you believe people can be saved by using modern versions (such as NKJV)?
2: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
This passage tells us Scripture is by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. These, and providing the way of salvation (faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God) are the main purposes for Scripture.
Do the modern versions (please note: I am not referring to The Message; it does not count) lose their ability to do this?
3: Is only the KJV capable of accomplishing these things (doctrine; reproof; correction; instruction in righteousness; the way of salvation)?

Please realize I am not asking this to merely stir up trouble. I am looking for honest and civil responses; I myself will also be as civil and honest as possible. Thank you.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I sure hope so. Otherwise, people who do not speak English are in deep trouble.

This is one thing that I have always wondered about the KJB only belief....what about translaitng the Bible into other languages? How is that any different that translating the original Greek and Hebrew into more of a modern day version of English?

• Administrators
I sure hope so. Otherwise, people who do not speak English are in deep trouble.

This is one thing that I have always wondered about the KJB only belief....what about translaitng the Bible into other languages? How is that any different that translating the original Greek and Hebrew into more of a modern day version of English?

Yes, people can be saved when using MV's. Although I don't use them, they do contain the Word of God. And His Word will not go out void.

RE: translation into other languages - many people feel that the KJB must be used to translate. I don't agree with that. If translators use the same manuscripts as was used for the KJB, then things would be fine. One thing we need to remember - the KJB is God's Word for English speaking people.

• Administrators

Yes, I believe that people can be saved by using other translations.

2: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: {17} That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works."
This passage tells us Scripture is by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness. These, and providing the way of salvation (faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God) are the main purposes for Scripture.
Do the modern versions (please note: I am not referring to The Message; it does not count) lose their ability to do this?
Some do better job than others, but I think we need to break down each version so we don't paint with a broad brush.

3: Is only the KJV capable of accomplishing these things (doctrine; reproof; correction; instruction in righteousness; the way of salvation)?
No, it is not, but I do not see any other English translation accomplishing it. I am not against updating the KJV, but I do not really see the need for it either. When I say updating, I am talking about archaic English words.

Certainly, as far as I know pretty much all bible translations contain enough correct doctrine for a person to get saved with. A person could get saved without a single verse of scripture as long as someone was telling them the truth based on scripture and they believed it and trusted God.

The real problem with other English versions is that they are an unstable foundation. They leave some things out, put other things in, and are all to various degrees corrupted. That injures spiritual growth and gives Satan additional opportunities to sow false doctrine in the hearts of believers.

• Members

people get saved from watching preachers on TV, gospel tracts, or people who go door to door to witness, mormons, JW, etc. Children get saved from their parents who explained them about Christ at their level.

It doesn't matter where or how you heard the gospel, All it matters if your heart is open to the gospel of Christ.

just because people got saved from MV doesn't mean MV should be used.

• Members

oh and I am against updating it too, unless you know what exactly gopher wood (and terms such as that).. It would be pretty bad if you think gopher wood is Oak or something like that. Or a unicorn is a rhino.

Other than that, leave it as it is.

Now they did have a printing errors and spelling errors that was corrected but I think these errors was done by the printing press and not by the scholars themselves . Although, I doubt they were the best spellers either.. that I think they only wrote words the best they know how.. it is not like today world where everyone get crititize for not spelling and writing correctly. Critizing KJV scholars for their writing ability is like critizing Native Indians for using symbols instead of words in my opinion.

We don't have the original manuscripts to the KJV either so I'll never know.

• Members

Man loves to change things, just to be changing things, the KJ needs no changes, its great just as it is.

One person told me they use a newer version so they can understand more verses, but are they understanding more verses, I think not, as Seth stated, they leave out and add to which just causes confusion.

Just because someone can get saved using a modern version, does not mean the modern version is OK. For as its already been said, a person can get saved without having a copy of the Bible, just having someone to lay out the plan of salvation.

Just because a person can get saved by someone laying out the plan of salvation, does that mean they don't need a Bible? I hope that question proves that this question is meaningless. 1: Do you believe people can be saved by using modern versions (such as NKJV)?

Yes' date=' people can be saved when using MV's. Although I don't use them, they do [u']contain the Word of God. And His Word will not go out void.

RE: translation into other languages - many people feel that the KJB must be used to translate. I don't agree with that. If translators use the same manuscripts as was used for the KJB, then things would be fine. One thing we need to remember - the KJB is God's Word for English speaking people.

If you don't mind my asking, why is it God's Word for the English speaking people, and not other versions?
Also, I am a bit saddened I did not get many actual responses to my questions; Brother Matt was virtually the only one who went through the questions and answered all of them. I do still appreciate the thoughts, nonetheless.
I now have a few other questions:
1: Since the Geneva Bible (which was in English, I believe, though it was very archaic-style) was before the KJV 1611 or the KJV 1769 (I believe it was in the 1500s), why do you use the KJV rather than it?
2: Do you consider someone who is not KJVO less spiritually mature?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members

Maybe I can save you time plus help you with this, for it answers many of your questions.

Most of us who devoutly believe and defend the King James Bible are well aware of how "stupid" "ignorant" "backward" "cultic" "unloving" and "narrow minded" we are IN YOUR EYES.

You do not need to tell us again, we heard you the first time and have been hearing you for hundreds of years. The trouble is that we are a loyal and faithful lot finding it difficult to change our stand and beliefs. Even with all of your books, magazines, articles, and posts, you have not given us any evidence, either material or Spiritual, to show that you offer us anything better than what we already have. In fact there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that you could even offer us anything as good as we have!

Therefore to listen to your insults, blasphemies, and offers, is a repeat of history and a waste of our time but we thank you for your concern (you did come out of true concern didn't you?) but we are really not interested in your offers.

We will however pray that you come to know and believe in something to the point that you are willing to stand as a true defender of the faith in the face of any and all opposition just as most of us do.

We DO however stand with open invitation to all who come sincerely seeking the truth in the matter of the King James Bible versus the Modern Versions. I don't know of a single KJBible defender who will lie to you or twist History or the Scriptures to make a point. If any do then they have other problems that need dealt with before the Lord and have no fellowship with the true defenders of God's Word.

We ask the seeker to look beneath all the hype and the arguments found in every public KJBible forum, for the devil sends such events to keep you discouraged and in the dark. Be not detoured from your mission of truth, for in the end the Spirit of God will testify to the Spirit in you as to what is true and what is not.

But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me: John 15:26

Written by Jim Oakley and used by permission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added 11/05/05

I feel it is time I bring this back up to the top. It seems we go in circles talking about these issues and neither side gets anywhere. It is a waste of my time and yours if you will not listen to answers when they are given. If you do not like our stand that is fine just remember that you are the one who came here to fellowship with us.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2512

And them there is this which is suppose to be read before anyone post on this board. Please notice rule number 3.

You are responsible to check this page regularly for any changes or additions that were made.

1) Do not promote your own site, unless:

a) It's a personal site.
B) It's to help somebody find something they're looking for.
c) All inappropriate sites will be deleted without notice.

2) Do not post Spam

a) Spam includes advertisements, content deemed inappropriate or illegal, flooding of the boards, double posts, and posts that are posted just to bring hits to your website;
B) Spammers will be banned from the boards.
c) If your first post contains a link, it might be considered spam. Add links to your profile instead.

3) Feel free to quote the Bible, if you do we ask that you use the KJV. This is done to avoid confusion.

The Administrators and Moderators of this site believe that the KJV is Gods preserved Word for the English speaking people, and we ask that you respect that and use the KJV when quoting scripture.

4) No rock music or Christian rock music posts

We understand that this is a sensitive topic to some. Feel free to ask why we believe that Rock music and Christian Rock is wrong, but please do so with a right attitude. Any rock music post that does not honor or glorify God will be deleted by the Administration or Moderators.

5) Posting a Message

a) Make sure that what you are going to post is in the right forum. If you post a Prayer Request in the lounge it will be moved to the prayer request forum. Please do a search before you blame the Administration or the Moderators for deleting the post as it probably was just moved into its proper forum.
B) Please do a search before posting the message to see if the topic already exists. We don't need 3 different threads to talk about 1 topic. We will lock any double threads, 1 is enough.

6) Do not make needless, incessant usage of:

a) ALL-CAPS;
B) Giant fonts with ugly colors;
c) No Swearing or derogatory terms will be tolerated. Only one swear word deletes the whole post.

7) Ensure that your signature:

a)Remains a reasonable size;
B) Does not contain excessively large images or annoying animations;
c) Follows all the rules applying to posts themselves.

8) Be nice to the Moderators

a) The moderators are here to make everyone's visit more enjoyable, so if you experience any problems with abusive users, please tell a moderator.
B) If you don't like the fact that the Moderators are deleting your post, don't get mad at them they are just doing what they are told. Go ahead and get mad at the Administrators instead.
c) We have the right to delete any post or ban any member who we feel is inappropriate for these boards without notice.
d) The mods have the right to lock any topic that they feel is not appropriate for this board. We are not a debating site like some boards, but rather a discussion board.
e) After a user receives three warnings within a year, a ban will take place on that member.

9) We will not allow the following

a) Bashing of other message boards.
B) Bashing of your pastor or church.
** Online Baptist is a place for fellowship, disagreements you may have with others should not be handled here.
c) Members that come just to argue doctrine instead of fellowship.

10) Banning a member

a) A member will be banned after 3 warnings for any of the above rules.
B) A warning stays on a members record for 1 year.
c) In certain situations the Admin/Mod has the right ban members before the 3 warnings takes place.

This board is owned and operated by Independent, Fundamental, KJV Baptist believers. We are not interested in arguing or debating. This board is set up for IFB to fellowship and uplift our Lord Jesus Christ.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24

Maybe I can save you time plus help you with this, for it answers many of your questions.

Most of us who devoutly believe and defend the King James Bible are well aware of how "stupid" "ignorant" "backward" "cultic" "unloving" and "narrow minded" we are IN YOUR EYES.

You do not need to tell us again, we heard you the first time and have been hearing you for hundreds of years. The trouble is that we are a loyal and faithful lot finding it difficult to change our stand and beliefs. Even with all of your books, magazines, articles, and posts, you have not given us any evidence, either material or Spiritual, to show that you offer us anything better than what we already have. In fact there is absolutely no evidence to suggest that you could even offer us anything as good as we have!

Brother Jerry, I do not recall even once calling KJVO-ists "stupid", "narrow-minded", or "cultic".
Furthermore, I am not trying to offer you "anything better than what you already have". I am coming here asking you questions to try to get to the heart of the reason of why you are KJV-Only.
Therefore to listen to your insults' date=' blasphemies, and offers, is a repeat of history and a waste of our time but we thank you for your concern (you did come out of true concern didn't you?) but we are really not interested in your offers. [/quote']
I was not aware I was being insulting, blasphemous, and "offering you something better". I thought I was just here asking questions, until now.
Brother Jerry, I respect you as one older in the faith, but I am afraid this post I am quoting is not one becoming a person of your undoubtedly long years as a follower of Christ. It seemed very mean-spirited and aggressive. You seem to be making assumptions, when you indeed do not know my stance on this issue.
After all, how do you know I am not KJV-only?

I now have a new question: Why are you [i am speaking to all those KJVO on the topic] KJV-only?
Note: I did not make any comments on the rest of your post because I did not think I needed to.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members
I have a few questions for those who are KJV-Only:

Please realize I am not asking this to merely stir up trouble. I am looking for honest and civil responses; I myself will also be as civil and honest as possible. Thank you.
God bless,
Crushmaster.

I believe...The Word of God
I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I post scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Catholic authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)

• Administrators

I believe...The Word of God
I believe the original texts are the divinely inspired Word of God in its entirety, written by men as they were moved by the Holy Spirit, and that it is the sole authority for the Christian's faith and conduct. I believe the King James Version of the Bible is the preserved Word of God for teaching and preaching to English speaking people. This is what I will use when I post scripture. I believe other English translations contain the Word of God including the latest Catholic authorized version, The New American Bible, Saint Joseph Edition. (2 Timothy 3.16-17; 2 Peter 1.20-21)
:amen:

Crush - I answered your first question, and didn't answer the other two because I knew others would do a much better job...as BroMatt proved.

To answer another - I don't necessarily believe that someone who uses an MV is spiritually immature - I know some KJVOers who are very spiritually immature. I also know MVers who are very spiritually immature...and arrogant in their immaturity, to boot! As has been stated, MV's contain the Word of God, so people that use them are being fed. And the Holy Spirit is our Teacher and Guide.

RE: the Geneva Bible...I would love to have a copy...it is hard to read, though! :Green I believe that God preserved His Word for english speaking people (the reason I use that statement was further explained in the post you quoted...I don't think it's necessary to use the KJB to translate...using the same manuscripts would do the same job...and spanish only or german only people, etc., can't read the KJB) in the KJB - granted, the reasoning behind it wasn't quite sacrosanct (the King wanted to do away with marginal comments about government that existed in the Geneva), but I believe that God guided those scholars who translated it.

There is no need in my life for an MV. The KJB is enough. Yes, I use commentaries and dictionaries. But the KJB is enough for me. (I will say this, though...I wouldn't stop fellowshipping with someone because they use an MV...)

Question for you, Crush - do you use MV's? If so, why leave out The Message? Surely someone somewhere would feel that particular book would help them more than others? Please know that I'm not being smarty or sarcastic with my questions...I truly am interested in your thoughts.

• Members

If you don't mind my asking, why is it God's Word for the English speaking people, and not other versions?
Also, I am a bit saddened I did not get many actual responses to my questions; Brother Matt was virtually the only one who went through the questions and answered all of them. I do still appreciate the thoughts, nonetheless.
I now have a few other questions:
1: Since the Geneva Bible (which was in English, I believe, though it was very archaic-style) was before the KJV 1611 or the KJV 1769 (I believe it was in the 1500s), why do you use the KJV rather than it?
2: Do you consider someone who is not KJVO less spiritually mature?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

from what I understand, I could be wrong, but I thought Geneva leans more on calvinism, at least on the commentaries.That's why I reject it .

Plus, it didn't have several scholars, who feared God "would strike them dead" :P AND feared King James if they didn't do it right (although I know King James wanted it done for personal gain, but you know, things did get slowly better after KJV was published) I truly believe God was watching those scholars to get the message right which is why he used King James, a KING, to get it done instead of a simple man of faith.

And no I don't think they are less spiritual. I think they will grow spiritually as I did. I know several people who started out MV and now uses KJV only.