• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

13-Year-Old Commits to USC for Football

• Members
13-Year-Old Commits to USC for Football

What you think about this?

Until recently I had no idea that there were so many kids out there that were preparing for a football career in pro football, or maybe its father pushing their young son living their life through their son.

I think this is getting ridiculous to many people out there whose God is football.

wow, if only some of us would put into our spiritual walk as much as many worldly people are putting into their goals in this world.

• Members

I think it it ridiculous for a 13 year old to commit to any school. It is also a no win for the kid. If he turns out to not be any good, the school will just pull his scholarship. I read about a similar case a few years ago, and another big time college coach said that these kind of commitments just tell other coaches who they have to beat for the recruit.

Until recently I had no idea that there were so many kids out there that were preparing for a football career in pro football, or maybe its father pushing their young son living their life through their son.

It makes sense. Pro athletics are some of the best jOBs in the world. They get paid a lot of money and get to do something that they love doing. How many people in the world can say that? Sure it it a ton of work, but if you have the talent then go for it. Parents make their kids go to school and take classes so that they can make it in some profession, why would they not do the same for athletics?

• Members

Yes, but the majority of children have no idea what it is they would rather do with their life until after they graduate high school.

I think pushing a child this was is where the parent is living their life through their child, and the child never really has a say in it.

I've witnessed it 1st hand seeing my grandchildren s father try pushing them.

Its not good to live your life through your children, never!

• Members

I didn't play a sport in college but I knew which college I would be attending at 13 and although my parent's didn't force me to go to a particular school, they were very influential. A committment such as this is nonbinding on all parties. The kid can change his mind, the school can refuse to offer a scholarship. Really the only purpose behind committments such as this is to forge a bond with a particular school early own so that relationships can be fostered to the point of maturity by the time the kid arrives on campus. If the kid wants to go to a certain school and the parents support him, then why does it matter at what age they make it public?

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Really the only purpose behind committments such as this is to forge a bond with a particular school early own so that relationships can be fostered to the point of maturity by the time the kid arrives on campus.

Actually, the biggest purpose is to foster publicity. If this is kid is that good, then more power to him. He's 13. Let him enjoy being a 13 year old. I have seen kids get pushed into sports only to drive the desire of their parents. It's sad. I actually counseled a young person before on this very thing. She was such a good soccer player and I feel that she would go as far as her sport would let her. However, she got sick and tired of the 5 day a week personal soccer trainer and the year long commitment to the game. After 6 years of this, she finally had enough and walked away from soccer altogether. Granted, this is not the common practice, but it does happen. Just let this kid be a kid and leave him alone.

• Members

Actually, the biggest purpose is to foster publicity. If this is kid is that good, then more power to him. He's 13. Let him enjoy being a 13 year old. I have seen kids get pushed into sports only to drive the desire of their parents. It's sad. I actually counseled a young person before on this very thing. She was such a good soccer player and I feel that she would go as far as her sport would let her. However, she got sick and tired of the 5 day a week personal soccer trainer and the year long commitment to the game. After 6 years of this, she finally had enough and walked away from soccer altogether. Granted, this is not the common practice, but it does happen. Just let this kid be a kid and leave him alone.

That is such a shame! It isn't right that parents or coaches can ruin the love of a game for a child.