• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Journey between Joppa and Caesarea

I'm trying to figure travel time from Caesarea to Joppa to Caesarea in Acts 10.

Day 1
Acts 10:3 He saw in a vision evidently about the ninth hour of the day an angel of God coming in to him, and saying unto him, Cornelius.
Acts 10:8 And when he had declared all these things unto them, he sent them to Joppa.
Day 2
Acts 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
How would servants and a soldier travel, by foot, by beast, by cart?
I can

• Members

I don't know, but in studying the history of local Baptist churches, I find that many walked considerable distances in the 19th century.

One, Jonathan Reeves, said he would walk from Rochester to Faversham to hear a special preacher but was unable as when he arose at 4.00am there was torrential rain which continued so he had to call off the trip at 6.30. He also said he walked the same distance with his mother to hear William Huntington SS (Sinner Saved) preach. Huntington died when Jonathan was 13 and as he was ill for the last two years of his life so this must have been when Jonathan was 11 at the most.

Samuel Eyles Pierce walked 21 miles from Maidstone to Faversham one Christmas Eve (about 1908)  I don't know how I typed that, it was 1813.  He had already walked a fair distance to London then got the stage to Maidstone before walking to Faversham. He preached twice the next day and three time the following day, it being the Lord's Day. he then walked 10 miles to Canterbury to spend the New Year.

One pastor of the Particular Baptist Church in Egerton, Kent walked from the Isle of Sheppey to Egerton each Sunday. Via Michelin gives the distance from Sheerness, the main town on the island as 48km or 30 miles. (I was told his journey was 23-25 miles.)

Many Christians would not pay to travel on the Lord's day so they only went where they could walk.

So 36 miles would not be more than a night or day's walk. A soldier would march fairly fast, probably at least 4mph.

Edited by Invicta
correction

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I believe the round trip journey from Caesarea to Joppa was a four day journey.

Day 1 - Acts 10:7 At 3:00 in the afternoon, Cornelius had a visitation. After speaking with the Angle of the Lord, Cornelius called two servants and a devout solder to tell them story. Acts 10:33 Cornelius told Peter he sent them immediately to Joppa.

Day 2 - Acts 10:9 About noon the following day, the men were approaching Joppa and Peter went to the roof to pray.
Acts 10:19 While Peter was wondering about the vision the men found Simon the Tanners house and called out to Peter.
Acts 10:23 Peter invited them into the house.

Day 3 - Acts 10:23b The next day Peter started out with them for Joppa

Day 4 - Acts 10:24 The following day he arrived at Caeserea and Cornelius was expecting him.

I hope this clarifies the time length of the journey.

Blessing on you.

• Members

There were two Caesareas, one formerly known as Stratos tower, later Caesarea by the seaside, and Caesarea Philippi.

The distance from Joppa in a straight line was about 40 miles and 100 miles.

• 4 months later...

1Tim115

re: "I'm trying to figure travel time from Caesarea to Joppa to Caesarea in Acts 10."

Are you just curious about this or do you have a specific use for the travel time involved?

A couple of years ago I was studying Peter's life. I think it was 3's in Peter's life. I thought it remarkable how many things in Peter's life involved the number 3.

• 4 years later...
  • Members
On November 12, 2012 at 6:31 AM, rstrats said:

1Tim115

re: "I'm trying to figure travel time from Caesarea to Joppa to Caesarea in Acts 10."

Are you just curious about this or do you have a specific use for the travel time involved?

Caesarea was 35 miles north of Joppa. That is quoted from Dake's reference bible.