• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Two questions on personal fellowship

• Members

My nephew just asked me : #1 He was wondering if there is a wrong way to find happiness in Christ ? #2 Should we seperate ourselves from people who give a personal testimony and show fruit in their lives but have different scriptural preferences ?
I know these sound like loaded questions , But I desire to hear other believers views on these two questions .
I believe I answered him scripturally correct . But the questions themselves threw me for a loop !
I just am doubting if I mis understood him . And if I didnt muddy the issues more than help . I basicly told him about scriptural seperation and how satan IS the great deciever and mocks and imitates Gods ways . So we must be ``discerning `` when fellowshiping with people with people who say they are saved but walk in a `` different ? scriptural way . PLEASE SEND scripture and verse feedback .
GOD BLESS

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In context many of those verses are talking about church...basically not eating the Lords Supper with a wayward brother...and doing church discipline when necessary.

OBviously we should choose wise friends but the Bible does not tell us we can't ever eat with people who don't see eye to eye like us. Jesus ate with publicans and sinners.

• Members

Amo 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

It is hard to fellowship with one who believes differently because you would have to walk on eggshells lest you offend them, or create an argument with them. This will often result in compromise.

It would depend, of course, on how far they off in their doctrine. If they do not believe in eternal salvation, then they are holding on to works; they may not understand the doctrine of grace. As far as I know, only Baptists and one other church believe in eternal security of the believer, and I am not too sure of the other one!

Some things to consider:
Do they believe in the deity of Christ? (some don't)
Do they use, and believe, the King James Bible?
Do they add anything to the saving grace of God? (Like "Believe AND be baptized; or speak in tongues, etc.)

Those are just a few of the important things to consider, but there are more. The spirit of anti Christ is here today, and Satan appears as an angel of light;

I do not think we are to be rude, or completely ignore them, but just have no fellowship (in Christ) with them.

Hope this helps.

• Members

I don't believe that verse in Corinthians are limited to the church. Do you really think it's okay for us to keep company with fornicating Christians as long as it's not at church?

I don't think they should be your best friend, but I don't buy this belief that some teach, that if one of your family members is immoral that you aren't allowed to eat Christmas dinner with them.... I don't think that's in the Bible.

Read the context...its of church discipline.

• Members

I don't believe that verse in Corinthians are limited to the church. Do you really think it's okay for us to keep company with fornicating Christians as long as it's not at church?

WELL ,scripture is clear on the fact that if (Paul wrote of this )a brother wont listen to rebuke then we should put him away from us . That does not mean putting our noses in the air when we see him on the street .
Like I saw another brother post on here AMOS 3:3 Except two be agreed they cannot walk together. I had a preacher rebuke me about that one time saying that was talking about Jesus only . I told him IT was the principle of the verse I was following ! Come to find out later the man was DEEP into Calvnism . I ended up seperating my family and I from that mess. In His name

• Members

I don't think they should be your best friend, but I don't buy this belief that some teach, that if one of your family members is immoral that you aren't allowed to eat Christmas dinner with them.... I don't think that's in the Bible.

Read the context...its of church discipline.

I LOVE talking with people that I can AGREE with online ! I whole heartedly agree with you ! Thanks for the response ! God bless

• Members

Your welcome. On this subject the word epistle comes to my mind, so I search the New Testament for the word epistle and find what I need on this subject. Wish I could remember many more key words for other subjects, for they surely help one find what they're looking for.

Jerry ,Am I understanding you right when you say ``epistle ``? Do you mean the epistles come to mind , because of what Paul taught , or something different? Cause it sounds like your coming from where I am.