• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Get out your scholar cap...Please!

• Members

Man is depraved - but not the way Calvinism teaches: ie. that man is unable to respond to the Gospel until regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This contradicts the Bible, which teaches man is regenerated upon his acceptance of/belief in the Gospel. The Holy Spirit convicts and enlightens lost man, and when man responds to that conviction by repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit makes him a child of God, regenerates him, adopts him into the family of God, etc.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Lord God is the one who saves - but it is WHEN man responds to the Gospel, not prior to his reception of it.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

• Members

Man is depraved - but not the way Calvinism teaches: ie. that man is unable to respond to the Gospel until regenerated by the Holy Spirit. This contradicts the Bible, which teaches man is regenerated upon his acceptance of/belief in the Gospel. The Holy Spirit convicts and enlightens lost man, and when man responds to that conviction by repentance and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit makes him a child of God, regenerates him, adopts him into the family of God, etc.

John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

The Lord God is the one who saves - but it is WHEN man responds to the Gospel, not prior to his reception of it.

Ephesians 1:13-14 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Very good explanation. My pastor regularly teaches us about the dangers of Calvinism, among other things. He always warns us to avoid that doctrinal error. It is interesting to me that people perpetually want to cling to a doctrine created by a man than the Truth as recorded by the Master in His Holy Word. (No offense to those who are Calvinists. We love everyone and do not want to cause hurt feelings. It is not personal, it is a choice to follow the Bible above everything man teaches.)

• Members

Very good explanation. My pastor regularly teaches us about the dangers of Calvinism, among other things. He always warns us to avoid that doctrinal error. It is interesting to me that people perpetually want to cling to a doctrine created by a man than the Truth as recorded by the Master in His Holy Word. (No offense to those who are Calvinists. We love everyone and do not want to cause hurt feelings. It is not personal, it is a choice to follow the Bible above everything man teaches.)

Makes one wonder.

2Co

• Members

Jerry

After all, Calvinism is a false gospel, for the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a call to all men, not a select few

Those who follow the reformed doctrine believe that the gospel call is to all men. However, those who respond are those who God will call.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

So important it was repeated.

John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

However the teaching was not popular in Jesus' day, anymore than it is today.

John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Would you leave Jesus if he told YOU that? Well he did.

• Members

Jerry

Those who follow the reformed doctrine believe that the gospel call is to all men. However, those who respond are those who God will call.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

You need to back up a few verses, friend. This is the reason they were offended..........

53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

• Members

You need to back up a few verses, friend. This is the reason they were offended..........

53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

That as well.

Not only, but also.

• Members
Those who follow the reformed doctrine believe that the gospel call is to all men.

Many don't - Calvinist doctrine (if they hold to all of it) teaches that it is not - only available or for the elect.[/align]

• Members

Jerry

Once again taking Holy Scriptures out of context twisting them to suit doctrine of men.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Amen! In studying what you showed in His Word this seem's to be what is being said. This has alway's bothered me. Thank you for sharing what He's revealed to you!

The chapter begins - Pro 16:1 � The preparations of the heart in man, and the answer of the tongue, [is] from the LORD.

All the schemes of man are subject the LORD's control, whether unwise schemes of the believer, or evil schemes of the unbeliever. ALL result in glory to God as he works his providential will.

The most wicked scheming of Satan & man, the rejection & crucifixion of teh Lord Jesus & the resultant day of evil resulted in salvation for God's people.

As Joseph said, Gen 50:20 But as for you, ye thought evil against me; [but] God meant it unto good, to bring to pass, as [it is] this day, to save much people alive.

Psalm 2 is a wonderful expression of that principle. Act 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.