• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The unpardonable sin Mark 3

• Members

Covenanter. I am sure you are not saying that one can be pardoned if one continues in unbelief?

The Holy Spirit came to testify to Jesus. If one rejects that testimony and continues in unbelief, can they be pardoned?

I think I know what you are saying, but while they live, they are commanded to repent. They are not unforgivable until death, so on that basis, you can never say a living person is unpardonable.

That definition is in effect meaningless.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
One night many years ago I had preached a sermon on the 'sin unto death' date='' at a church who had asked me to come and bring the morning and evening message. After the evening service a young pastor who was visiting told me that I did not know what I was preaching on, that the 'sin unto death' was the unpardonable sin. [/quote']
Is the sin unto death the unpardonable sin? What about the Corinthians?

1Cr 11:30 For this cause many [are] weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

I believe that all true Christians are secure in Christ, & that salvation cannot be lost.

It seems though, that believers holding the Lord's supper in contempt, or otherwise living in such a way that discredits their profession may result in premature death. But does that agree with John?

1Jo 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

• Members

Living examples -

The pastor who was well stocked with good books, & could preach a good Biblical sermon, & went on to build up a clique of members he cultivated, & ousted those who were faithful, before selling the manse, church hall & church & retiring a rich man.

The blind woman who could speak wonderfully of the Lord & her relationship with him. She sought church membership. In fact her desire was to move in with a gracious member. Once she was in that home, she left a flow of OBscenities on my answerphone while we were in church. Sadly she is still in that believer's home.

• Members

There is one sin that we do know that the blood of Christ will not cover, unbelief.

But yet the unpardonable sin is not unbelief.

I recall at least 2 things I was told about the unpardonable sin when I was young, that it was unbelief, that it was cussing, yet, at least to me, if you read the verses in context its neither of them.

It amazes me at the number of different things people will claim it to be. One night many years ago I had preached a sermon on the 'sin unto death,' at a church who had asked me to come and bring the morning and evening message. After the evening service a young pastor who was visiting told me that I did not know what I was preaching on, that the 'sin unto death' was the unpardonable sin. And yes, that is the words he used. I just politely told him, "Young man, you need to go home, get your Bible out, pray about this, them study your Bible." That was when he informed me that he was a pastor and knew what he was talking about. I just repeated basically what I had already stated trying to be polite as I could.

The person following him was stunned that he said that to me and apologized for this happening. I said, "That's OK, just as long as I was polite to him." He stated, "You handled it much better than I would have, if he told me point blank that I did not know what I was talking about as he did you, I prOBably would have punched him out." Of course doing such a thing would have made everything much worse.

Forgive me if I seem like I am trying to hard to simpify the matter.Is`nt the core principle of Mark 3:22-30 the attributing of Jesus` works to Satan ? In other words, Jesus was rebuking them for even thinking of giving Satan the praise for what God had done ,by casting out the demons ? IF SO, then this sin STEMS FROM unbelief . Therefore The basis of the whole principle would be UNBELIEF. Does that make good scriptural and spiritual sense? Sometimes ,if I dont use JUST scripture and verse ,I have a hard time getting the scriptural point across. I get my tongue tangled so to speak . LOL
Anyways , I`ll wait your reply ,to see if I am on the same track as you .
In Christs Name

• Members

The person following him was stunned that he said that to me and apologized for this happening. I said, "That's OK, just as long as I was polite to him." He stated, "You handled it much better than I would have, if he told me point blank that I did not know what I was talking about as he did you, I prOBably would have punched him out." Of course doing such a thing would have made everything much worse.

If I started punching out people who told me I was wrong I'd be surrounded by nothing but black-eyes.

• Members

If I started punching out people who told me I was wrong I'd be surrounded by nothing but black-eyes.

AMEN ! Of course you could be like Peter and whack of their ear with a sword ! Of course we would recieve the same rebuke from the Lord as He did ! LOL Although I do find I am alot like Peter,react first and ask questions later .

• Members

AMEN ! Of course you could be like Peter and whack of their ear with a sword ! Of course we would recieve the same rebuke from the Lord as He did ! LOL Although I do find I am alot like Peter,react first and ask questions later .

Yes... I think that episode is largely misunderstood by people but that's a whole 'nother topic....

Back on topic... "The Unpardonable Sin"

• Members

I do not believe that any sin is unpardonable excet unbelief if one repents and asks for forgiveness.

1Jo 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

• Members

Yes, no one living today can directly see the Holy Spirit working through the Lord Jesus Christ as they did in the first century, then reject Him as their Saviour and the Messiah. People may die in unbelief - therefore have their sins "unpardoned" - but the unpardonable sin cannot be duplicated today.

As the other Jerry has stated, the sin unto death is the last stage in God's chastisement of an individual believer - God taking them out of this world to be home with Him. Won't be a happy day for them at the Judgment Seat of Christ if that was the case.

• Members

What would constitute such unforgivable behaviour? No-one can be in the same position as the opponents of the Lord, when they resisted & accused him. When they accused the Apostles, they did so because they were refusing to admit they were wrong in rejecting their Messiah.

We need to look for Scripture principles.

Invicta's assertion that unbelief is the unforgivable sin doesn't make sense. The Gospel calls on unbelievers, sinners, to repent.

Do we risk blaspheming against the Holy Spirit when we reject the latest charismatic phenomenon?

Is the Pope unforgivable, when he takes a blasphemous position as head of the church? He has so much Scriptural knowledge, yet is spiritually blind. Is he antichrist, ex officio?

Are our friends & families, & church goers, unforgivable when they continue in unbelief after perhaps years of Gospel preaching?

Who in Scripture was unforgivable?

Cain; Korah & Balaam have a special mention in Jude.
Cain murdered his brother in defiance of God; Korah defied the ordinance of God in defience of Moses & Balaam, hired to curse Israel, after being rebuked & given true prophecy, sought to corrupt Israel by seduction & pagan worship.

Esau despised his birthright & was rejected.

Saul usurped the position as priest.

Belshazzar, profaning the temple vessels.

The Jewish leaders in NT times who knew Christ & rejected him & his Apostles.

Alexander who did much evil to Paul.

Those who deliberately act & teach to damage the faith of others:
2Ti 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus; 18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

See also Rev. 2 & 3.

Broadly speaking, it would seem that to have a clear knowledge & understanding of Gospel truth, & then to act perversely & destructively to harm the cause of Christ is the unforgivable sin.

So you are refering to Heb. 6:4-6 ? If this be the case ,then there are those walking the earth today who have NO chance of salvation . Correct?
Also , I believe what Invicta is refering to ,is the fact that people DIE in unbelief ,which causes eternal damnation. Because thats the way I was looking at it.
IF what you say is true (and I can see both sides) then where does ``WHOSOEVER WILL ,MAY COME `` enter into the equation? In Jesus