• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ideas for Chapters

• Members

I have been encouraged to write a book on pastoring in a small town. I am interested in doing it and would like some ideas for chapters

This is some of the ways God has blessed in my ministry
I am now pastoring the 3rd church in a small town. After bible college I started a church in a town of about 150, and in a year we were running about 40 and they called a pastor. Then I took a church in a town of 5000, they only had three ladies. The Lord blessed and in about 5 years we were running about 85-90 with a Christian school. Then I went to Indiana and took a church of 30 in a town of 300. I was there for 9 years when I resigned we were running 180-200 and had started a Daycare, Christian School, Correspondence College, and a printing ministry. Now I am in the biggest town I have ever pastored in 35,000 and the church is only running 30 but I believe God is going to do a great work here as well. So I am journaling all my work to help with the book.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of the chapters I have added to the Journal of my pastoring experience has been the hardest, sweetest, most gut wrenching yet most rewarding -- II Sam 24:24 I'd title the chapter "What it costs to serve".

Thus far it has cost me "looking into an empty pantry", "looking at an empty account with bills looming and due", "looking into frightened faces of wife and children" (over the turmoil of taking a stand despite the dangers). "looking under the hood and seeing problems that can't be repaired due the costs", "listening to problems of others which pale in comparison to 1/4 of those I face...but being encouraging, smiling, soothing and sincere none the less"...I could go on and on.

But it has paid by God's whispering " you asked me to make your ministry worth something to me....and you have laid it and yourself upon an altar of self sacrifice. I have burned it up and consumed it and it is mine now....and it has been at great personal price to you.....and that has made it worth far more to me".

I will offer no burnt offerings unto the Lord my God of that which doth cost me nothing.... What good is an offering that doesn't cost anything to the offerer.... So I am glad for every thing it costs me now. When the cars are running good, and the food is plentiful and the clothes are nice and the money is sufficient....I fear that, for it means it isn't costing me anything to serve this God who spent the most precious thing he had for me.