• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Denominations

• Members

I ,for the sake of better understanding ,would like to ask a quetion about denominations. I am whole hearted Baptist because it is the ONLY denomination I`ve found that comes close to defending the ENTIRE Word of God . Also because I believe so strongly in the ``Baptist Distinctives``.

Point being and I guess the REAL question : Can we truely trace our denomination (historically ) back to the cross ? I KNOW THAT SCRIPTURALLY ,INDEPENDANT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTISTS ARE as close as we can get to the true Biblical sense of A BELIEVER WALK with CHRIST . In Christ

• Members

I ,for the sake of better understanding ,would like to ask a quetion about denominations. I am whole hearted Baptist because it is the ONLY denomination I`ve found that comes close to defending the ENTIRE Word of God . Also because I believe so strongly in the ``Baptist Distinctives``.

Point being and I guess the REAL question : Can we truely trace our denomination (historically ) back to the cross ? I KNOW THAT SCRIPTURALLY ,INDEPENDANT FUNDAMENTAL BAPTISTS ARE as close as we can get to the true Biblical sense of A BELIEVER WALK with CHRIST . In Christ

Historically? No, the records are not good enough to do that. I am sure that there have been believers who held the same doctrines as those who call themselves IFB's today all the way back to the time of Christ because the doctrines we hold are bible doctrines and God will always have a remnant somewhere. However, given the intense persecution bible believers have suffered throughout history there are going to be large historical gaps where nothing can be proved.

What little we can glean from historical data was usually written by the enemies of bible believers anyway and therefore can be of dubious accuracy at times. I mean, even today how far could we trust the enemies of KJVO IFB's to accurately describe our positions? Some would take unbiblical nut jOBs like the westboro baptist group and put it up as a example of IFB's. If over time what we call ourselves changed and only the writings of those that hated IFB's survived how accurate a view would future bible believers have of what IFB's actually believed? The fact of the matter is that persecuted people rarely leave good records behind and for hundreds of years bible believers were nothing if not heavily persecuted. Only God can fully trace the line of faithful believers down through time.

• Members

I agree - a remnant of true believers holding the right doctrine (fundamentals of the faith, and even what we term Baptist Distinctives), not necessarily a group we can trace all the way back. But through some diligent research on "church history", we can learn the names of some of those believers, and trust that when we can't fill the gaps with other groups, God has always had His true remnant. One example is the Waldensians.

• Members

The thought that came to mind when reading the responses was "if" we did and could trace back through a line of people it would prOBably lead to people puffing themselves up and identifying to a "superior people" I would like to just identify with Christ and leave the line of belief up to the Lord to keep track of. I know this is not what you were trying to do, but maybe it would be the out come if we could trace back.

• Members

No, only as individuals down through the ages. We who have put our trust in the completed work of Jesus Christ can trace our line directly to the cross. I am an IFB because they preach the Word and endeavor to adhere to truth in honesty following Christ in more ways than the others (main denoms). If it weren't for the Papal authority, Church authority, and man-made dogma...I could be a member of the Roman Church.

• Members

Historically? No, the records are not good enough to do that. I am sure that there have been believers who held the same doctrines as those who call themselves IFB's today all the way back to the time of Christ because the doctrines we hold are bible doctrines and God will always have a remnant somewhere. However, given the intense persecution bible believers have suffered throughout history there are going to be large historical gaps where nothing can be proved.

What little we can glean from historical data was usually written by the enemies of bible believers anyway and therefore can be of dubious accuracy at times. I mean, even today how far could we trust the enemies of KJVO IFB's to accurately describe our positions? Some would take unbiblical nut jOBs like the westboro baptist group and put it up as a example of IFB's. If over time what we call ourselves changed and only the writings of those that hated IFB's survived how accurate a view would future bible believers have of what IFB's actually believed? The fact of the matter is that persecuted people rarely leave good records behind and for hundreds of years bible believers were nothing if not heavily persecuted. Only God can fully trace the line of faithful believers down through time.

yeah, it's like that HPV cultural study in another thread. They think they know us, but they don't.

Half of the people who study religion can't get it right on what we believe. They say it's fear, paranoid, etc. So much for their "degree" in religion. If they truly understand us, we would be saying to them right now, "yep, that's true".

• Members

It's true and very hard to write accurate accounts while your running for your life pursued by the Roman Church...I mean Roman Army. They will record you as heretic or state criminal and you most likely become a martyr.