Online Baptist

• Advanced Member

Well, I've heard it preached as of late that one needs to have a wood pulpit in order to follow Biblical precedents. The way this person spoke it was almost as if they were saying that a church without a wooden pulpit was liberal and the truth wasn't being preached. They hinged their whole argument on this verse:

Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

What do you think about this? I know that many times folks go out street preaching...no pulpit there...I don't think Paul had a wooden Pulpit on Mars' Hill.

As I thought about I thought that one might say as an honor unto the Lord making things for him at his house presentable. Why couldn't a glass or metal pulpit be presentable unto the Lord?

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose;

Personally, I prefer the traditional big wood pulpit... but notice I said "prefer." It could be that the Plexiglass pulpit ordered from Church Supply was delayed in shipment so they had to make a wooden one.... :saint2:
  • Administrators
Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Does this pastor actually stand on the wooden pulpit too?

I have preached literally hundreds and hundreds of times at the Gospel Mission, and have not used a pulpit of any sort once. Though I have used a pulpit several times at a Senior's home.

Well, I've heard it preached as of late that one needs to have a wood pulpit in order to follow Biblical precedents. The way this person spoke it was almost as if they were saying that a church without a wooden pulpit was liberal and the truth wasn't being preached. They hinged their whole argument on this verse:

What do you think about this? I know that many times folks go out street preaching...no pulpit there...I don't think Paul had a wooden Pulpit on Mars' Hill.

As I thought about I thought that one might say as an honor unto the Lord making things for him at his house presentable. Why couldn't a glass or metal pulpit be presentable unto the Lord?

That sounds like an example of eisegesis rather than exegesis. A single example without a biblical command does not a bible doctrine make.
  • Advanced Member

As for me, I would want a wooden one.

I just don't feel no matter what a pulpit was made out of, the church its in could be liberal & or conservative.

Jerry, Do you mind explaining your last statement? I'm not certain what you are saying. Thank you.

No matter what the pulpit is made of, it could be a conservative & or liberal teaching church. What material the pulpit is made of would have no effect on that a church being conservative & or liberal.

I prefer one made of wood. If you want one made of paper, plastic, glass, them that's OK with me, but as for me, give me a wooden one.

No matter what the pulpit is made of, it could be a conservative & or liberal teaching church. What material the pulpit is made of would have no effect on that a church being conservative & or liberal.

I prefer one made of wood. If you want one made of paper, plastic, glass, them that's OK with me, but as for me, give me a wooden one.

Yep, for me... it would be wood or stainless steal. Now the question is... Maple? Walnut? Beech? Cherry? ohhhhhh..... Cherry!
  • Advanced Member

Okay, understood. I agree with you.
  • Advanced Member

Glass wouldn't work for my preacher, he fiddles in his pockets while he is preaching...lol with the wooden pulpit no one can see except me since I sit on the front row... :lol: But with that thing the whole congregation would be able to get distracted by it.

• Advanced Member

The primary definition of "pulpit" refers to the elevated area where the preacher preaches. Kinda like a stage or a literal soapbox. He places his Bible and sermon notes on a podium. So, Ezra was prOBably standing on his "soapbox." Nowadays, we use the terms "pulpit" and "podium" interchangeably when we're talking within churches.

Of course it's a requirement for an IFB preacher.

The text key words are "stood upon a pulpit of wood" and "beside him stood."

So from now on all IFB preachers must stand UPON a pulpit of wood and of course have the following standing beside them..."Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam."

If the preacher fails to stand upon it with the aforementioned standing beside him he is a liberal and isn't speaking the truth. Would that make Paul's discourse on Mars Hill liberal and false?

How can a rip roaring fundamentalist preacher use a glass pulpit anyway, if he slams his fist down on a glass pulpit for effect it might break. :wink I guess that would really wake people up. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been in good churches with pulpits made from glass, wood, metal, or no pulpit at all. It ranks among my concerns right up there with the color of the carpet. A non issue. It is a place for the speaker to put his bible, notes, or what have you while maybe doubling as a place to hold a microphone so the people can hear better. Nothing more.

• Advanced Member

How can a rip roaring fundamentalist preacher use a glass pulpit anyway, if he slams his fist down on a glass pulpit for effect it might break. :wink I guess that would really wake people up. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been in good churches with pulpits made from glass, wood, metal, or no pulpit at all. It ranks among my concerns right up there with the color of the carpet. A non issue. It is a place for the speaker to put his bible, notes, or what have you while maybe doubling as a place to hold a microphone so the people can hear better. Nothing more.

I just wanted to stand up and say, "Excuse don't you think that is stretching the scriptures a little TOO far??" Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it :wink

With todays non-breakable plexiglass me thinks the fist would come bounding back up off the surface and smack the preacher in the head... now that would wake up the congregation!

Yep, for me... it would be wood or stainless steal. Now the question is... Maple? Walnut? Beech? Cherry? ohhhhhh..... Cherry!

you just stir the pot among IFBs LOL jk (as they are typically stereotype to argue over carpet color)

btw, pastors naturally stand on platforms and use wood pulpits (because it is durable and private so they can keep a cup of water in it and holds their bible and notes) so it doesn't matter.

But if one wants to use wood because the bible mentioned it and it would make a great biblical symbol, then so be it. No big deal.

I guess it become a prOBlem if that same pastor will chastened those who don't use wood.

• Advanced Member

In this same said sermon the preacher basically called these who don't use a wood pulpit liberal...that's going a little too far IMHO.

There are some preachers out there that look at themselves as the "man of God" to such an extent that they have the same kind of authority to throw around the weight of their opinions like they were one of the prophets of old.

When I meet that kind of preacher, I just step aside and keep walking.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In this same said sermon the preacher basically called these who don't use a wood pulpit liberal...that's going a little too far IMHO.

I, personally, wouldn't like a glass pulpit, or any other kind of see-through type material. What if you forgot to zip your fly? :bleh::icon_mrgreen:

My questions is, why in the world would anyone feel the need to preach on, or about that? Seriously, are there not more important things to preach on than non-wooden pulpits? :twocents:
  • Advanced Member

I, personally, wouldn't like a glass pulpit, or any other kind of see-through type material. What if you forgot to zip your fly? :bleh::icon_mrgreen:

My questions is, why in the world would anyone feel the need to preach on, or about that? Seriously, are there not more important things to preach on than non-wooden pulpits? :twocents:

Exactly...Missions, Soulwinning, Thithing, Pulpits...??? :lol:
  • Members

Maybe that fellow has run out of anything to preach on, standing behind the pulpit, the 1st thing that came to his mind was preach on pulpits.

LOL Somehow I would not necessarily doubt this! :lol:

Exactly...Missions, Soulwinning, Thithing, Pulpits...??? :lol:

Yeah, it fits right in there!

Incidentally pastorrvbc,

I like your daugther's name :) It's very similar to mine.

Thank you! BTW, we do call her Kayla a lot of times.