• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Wooden Pulpit

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Of course it's a requirement for an IFB preacher.

The text key words are "stood upon a pulpit of wood" and "beside him stood."

So from now on all IFB preachers must stand UPON a pulpit of wood and of course have the following standing beside them..."Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam."

If the preacher fails to stand upon it with the aforementioned standing beside him he is a liberal and isn't speaking the truth. Would that make Paul's discourse on Mars Hill liberal and false?

• Members

How can a rip roaring fundamentalist preacher use a glass pulpit anyway, if he slams his fist down on a glass pulpit for effect it might break. :wink I guess that would really wake people up. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been in good churches with pulpits made from glass, wood, metal, or no pulpit at all. It ranks among my concerns right up there with the color of the carpet. A non issue. It is a place for the speaker to put his bible, notes, or what have you while maybe doubling as a place to hold a microphone so the people can hear better. Nothing more.

• Members

How can a rip roaring fundamentalist preacher use a glass pulpit anyway, if he slams his fist down on a glass pulpit for effect it might break. :wink I guess that would really wake people up. :biggrin:

Seriously, I have been in good churches with pulpits made from glass, wood, metal, or no pulpit at all. It ranks among my concerns right up there with the color of the carpet. A non issue. It is a place for the speaker to put his bible, notes, or what have you while maybe doubling as a place to hold a microphone so the people can hear better. Nothing more.

I just wanted to stand up and say, "Excuse don't you think that is stretching the scriptures a little TOO far??" Nothing ruins the truth like stretching it :wink

• Members

With todays non-breakable plexiglass me thinks the fist would come bounding back up off the surface and smack the preacher in the head... now that would wake up the congregation!

• Members

btw, pastors naturally stand on platforms and use wood pulpits (because it is durable and private so they can keep a cup of water in it and holds their bible and notes) so it doesn't matter.

But if one wants to use wood because the bible mentioned it and it would make a great biblical symbol, then so be it. No big deal.

I guess it become a prOBlem if that same pastor will chastened those who don't use wood.

• Members

In this same said sermon the preacher basically called these who don't use a wood pulpit liberal...that's going a little too far IMHO.

There are some preachers out there that look at themselves as the "man of God" to such an extent that they have the same kind of authority to throw around the weight of their opinions like they were one of the prophets of old.

When I meet that kind of preacher, I just step aside and keep walking.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In this same said sermon the preacher basically called these who don't use a wood pulpit liberal...that's going a little too far IMHO.

I, personally, wouldn't like a glass pulpit, or any other kind of see-through type material. What if you forgot to zip your fly? :bleh::icon_mrgreen:

My questions is, why in the world would anyone feel the need to preach on, or about that? Seriously, are there not more important things to preach on than non-wooden pulpits? :twocents: