• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Wooden Pulpit

• Members

Well, I've heard it preached as of late that one needs to have a wood pulpit in order to follow Biblical precedents. The way this person spoke it was almost as if they were saying that a church without a wooden pulpit was liberal and the truth wasn't being preached. They hinged their whole argument on this verse:

Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

What do you think about this? I know that many times folks go out street preaching...no pulpit there...I don't think Paul had a wooden Pulpit on Mars' Hill.

As I thought about I thought that one might say as an honor unto the Lord making things for him at his house presentable. Why couldn't a glass or metal pulpit be presentable unto the Lord?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose;

Personally, I prefer the traditional big wood pulpit... but notice I said "prefer." It could be that the Plexiglass pulpit ordered from Church Supply was delayed in shipment so they had to make a wooden one.... :saint2:

• Administrators
Nehemiah 8:4 And Ezra the scribe stood upon a pulpit of wood, which they had made for the purpose; and beside him stood Mattithiah, and Shema, and Anaiah, and Urijah, and Hilkiah, and Maaseiah, on his right hand; and on his left hand, Pedaiah, and Mishael, and Malchiah, and Hashum, and Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Does this pastor actually stand on the wooden pulpit too?

• Members

I have preached literally hundreds and hundreds of times at the Gospel Mission, and have not used a pulpit of any sort once. Though I have used a pulpit several times at a Senior's home.

• Members

Well, I've heard it preached as of late that one needs to have a wood pulpit in order to follow Biblical precedents. The way this person spoke it was almost as if they were saying that a church without a wooden pulpit was liberal and the truth wasn't being preached. They hinged their whole argument on this verse:

What do you think about this? I know that many times folks go out street preaching...no pulpit there...I don't think Paul had a wooden Pulpit on Mars' Hill.

As I thought about I thought that one might say as an honor unto the Lord making things for him at his house presentable. Why couldn't a glass or metal pulpit be presentable unto the Lord?

That sounds like an example of eisegesis rather than exegesis. A single example without a biblical command does not a bible doctrine make.

• Members

No matter what the pulpit is made of, it could be a conservative & or liberal teaching church. What material the pulpit is made of would have no effect on that a church being conservative & or liberal.

I prefer one made of wood. If you want one made of paper, plastic, glass, them that's OK with me, but as for me, give me a wooden one.

• Members

No matter what the pulpit is made of, it could be a conservative & or liberal teaching church. What material the pulpit is made of would have no effect on that a church being conservative & or liberal.

I prefer one made of wood. If you want one made of paper, plastic, glass, them that's OK with me, but as for me, give me a wooden one.

Yep, for me... it would be wood or stainless steal. Now the question is... Maple? Walnut? Beech? Cherry? ohhhhhh..... Cherry!

• Members

Okay, understood. I agree with you.

• Members

Glass wouldn't work for my preacher, he fiddles in his pockets while he is preaching...lol with the wooden pulpit no one can see except me since I sit on the front row... :lol: But with that thing the whole congregation would be able to get distracted by it.

• Members

The primary definition of "pulpit" refers to the elevated area where the preacher preaches. Kinda like a stage or a literal soapbox. He places his Bible and sermon notes on a podium. So, Ezra was prOBably standing on his "soapbox." Nowadays, we use the terms "pulpit" and "podium" interchangeably when we're talking within churches.