• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Jesus Groove to Rock Music

• Members

One time, when I was at the landing in Branson, MO, I was passing Hot Topic and saw an interesting shirt. It read, Keep Music Evil. I just thought it was an interesting shirt.

Yes it is interesting, and there be many who are keeping music evil. I suppose nowadays a person can get about anything they want printed on t-shirts, plus many are brave enough, or maybe its evil enough to wear many of those evil printed t-shirts in the public.

• 11 years later...
  • Administrators

I just came across this old topic. It is interesting in seeing how many churches have shifted from Praise and Worship to straight out concert. While we have a great time in our church, I need to make sure that it dos not just become an emotional concert. 

• Members
3 hours ago, PastorMatt said:

I just came across this old topic. It is interesting in seeing how many churches have shifted from Praise and Worship to straight out concert. While we have a great time in our church, I need to make sure that it dos not just become an emotional concert. 

I know that in the church my wife and I attend, at times I feel like I'm at a rock concert. Don't get me wrong, it's not like that all the time. I can handle SOME CCM, but I can't handle all of it. And in many services, we don't sing any of the old hymns at all, and if we do, they're usually combined with a CCM song on it. I don't like this practice. I understand that times change, and music changes as well, but I also know that what was considered the "devil's music" years ago when I was a teen is still the "devil's music" even if it has Christian words added to it. Just for example, we had a man from our church using an old Eagles song with words revised to make it a Christian song. It was from the Eagles song "Peaceful, easy feeling"...I sat there and, with one of the churches deacons sitting behind me and one sitting in front of me, singing in a whisper the old words from the Eagles. Both asked me after the service if I'd heard the song before. I was honest and told them where it was from. I don't believe they were too happy. I nearly got up and left that part of the service to avoid this, but, it was the third or fourth time it had happened in less than six months. 

Having been raised in and Independent Fundamental Baptist church, even though I'm now in an SBC church, I knew how the Lord had convicted me on the subject. The music that touches the body more than the soul is NOT of God. I studied music for years, now how to play the piano, and used to play the guitar, though I haven't done that for over 35 years now. I played the piano for churches until about 20 years ago when I went disabled. I have noticed that in our churches youth program the youth/associate pastor is using Rock music to motivate the teens. I see many teens motivated to get out and do things, but wonder at times if this motivation is from the music or from the Lord. I see many of them active for a few months, and then they fizzle out and don't come any longer. Something isn't right. I believe that we can still be lively in the old music, touch the souls instead of the body and preach the Word without all the "showmanship" on the platform that we see today. This is just my humble opinion. I know others here will differ with me, and that's their conviction. They're welcome to it.