• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Jesus Groove to Rock Music

• Administrators

Republished December 23, 2009 (first published July 3, 2000) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143, fbns@wayoflife.org; for instructions about subscribing and unsubscribing or changing addresses, see the information paragraph at the end of the article) -

The July 2000 issue of Charisma, the very influential Charismatic publication, has an article exhorting the readers to “Get in the Groove.” The author, J. Lee Grady, mocks traditional Christian music as “dirge-like” and “lily-white” and something only for “grandmothers.” He goes on to make the pretentious claim that worship music in Heaven will feature “a dozen Hammond-B3 organs and a procession of hip-hop [rap] dancers.” Not content with this brazen claim, Grady tells us that Jesus Christ “loves all music--even the funkiest” and that Jesus Christ enjoys dancing with the angels and “grooving to the sound of Christian R&B [rhythm and blues] pumped out of a boom box.”
How does Grady know this? The simple and frightful fact is that he knows no such thing. He is preaching a false christ, and the Contemporary Christian Music movement in general is preaching much the same thing. They tell us that Jesus Christ is not separated from the world, that He loves every sort of music in this wicked world, that He boogies to rock and roll, that He is pleased when His people hip hop around on a stage after the fashion of modern rappers.

Posted at http://www.wayoflife.org/files/d71aa41148eaa805afc94b14c0518e20-482.html#unique-entry-id-482

• Members
They tell us that Jesus Christ is not separated from the world, that He loves every sort of music....
but not the music used for his praise & worship down the centuries???

Surely hymnody & music using rhyme, metre & straightforward singable tunes cannot alienate those who enjoy rock music?

OTOH rock music with discordant, loud & repetitive sounds & words is intended to alienate those who love traditional worship.

Instrumental music must be subservient to the words, & not dominate them.

• Members

It reminds me of the movie "Footloose," where the main character twists Scripture references regarding dancing to convince the preacher character that God approves of the style of dance the main character was promoting. The preacher, of course, had no comebacks, so he "allowed" the dance to occur. I sure did want to jump through the screen!

• Members

Don't even get me started on this one again. Picture Jesus sitting in the temple and listening to the harps, lyre, psaltry and what, electric guitars, snare drums????? Coming in the clouds with a jamming rock beat or with the trumpet of Gabriel???
Doesn't matter if this is a different age. It isn't a different Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Surely hymnody & music using rhyme, metre & straightforward singable tunes cannot alienate those who enjoy rock music?

OTOH rock music with discordant, loud & repetitive sounds & words is intended to alienate those who love traditional worship.

Instrumental music must be subservient to the words, & not dominate them.

I don't buy this argument... mostly because it is the farthest thing from reality. I love traditional music. I also love modern P&W. I know people who like the traditional. I know people who only like the "rock" as its being called here.

Because there is so much personal preference involved, some folks are alienated (as you put it) from one or the other, and many enjoy both.

I know the board's stand on CCM, so I am not just trying to push a pro-CCM agenda. I am trying to say this argument does not hold up. Traditional music can and does alienate some folks because of its style.

• Members

Don't even get me started on this one again. Picture Jesus sitting in the temple and listening to the harps, lyre, psaltry and what, electric guitars, snare drums????? Coming in the clouds with a jamming rock beat or with the trumpet of Gabriel???

Would Jesus walk around today in a tunic? Or would he put on blue jeans?

• Members

I can't imagine the Lord Jesus doing that because they didn't have electricity at that time, the same as some of the instruments during Jesus time were not around during Moses time.

• Members

Some things we can know for a certainty, such as the fact Jesus wouldn't approve of a line of hip-hop girls dancing away as they do. Scripture is clear that their dress style is unbiblical as is their style of dancing.

However, when it comes to electric guitars, Scripture isn't clear at all as to what Jesus would like or not like. An electric guitar can be used as a calm accompanying piece or as a loud, ear-piercing piece and can be used in many ways in-between. Does Jesus hate all electric guitar music? Love some, hate some? We can't say with 100% certainty.

I've heard some old hymns played in what is called CCM. Some of them were well done while others were done in a way which negated the lyrics or just outright sounded awful (my personal opinion).

Just as it was wrong for the guy to proclaim Jesus enjoys dancing with angels and funky music, it's wrong for others to proclaim Jesus hates all CCM.

We are always best off to stick with what Scripture is clear on. Rather than carry on about a guitar in a rap song, stand on the Bible and point out the dance the rappers use is unbiblical and their dress is unbiblical. For some songs the lyrics are unbiblical or even have nothing to do with Christ or Christianity at all.

Toss out the broad brush and focus upon that which is clearly biblically edifying for praise or that which is clearly unbiblical to shine the light of Scripture upon it as Jesus did.

• Members

I don't buy this argument... mostly because it is the farthest thing from reality. I love traditional music. I also love modern P&W. I know people who like the traditional. I know people who only like the "rock" as its being called here.

People who only like rock, & attend a church (or do not attend) because of their taste in music, need to examine themselves. The time honoured congregational worship using Biblical hymns sung in tune cannot be questioned.

What they listen to for pleasure should not take precedence in worship.

OTOH rejecting rock music for worship shows a Biblical concern for decent & orderly music.

Because there is so much personal preference involved, some folks are alienated (as you put it) from one or the other, and many enjoy both.

Personal preference should be subject to the Holy Spirit. Its not simple taste. A simple Scriptural hymn edifies all who hear it, whereas rock music offends many, particularly in worship.

I know the board's stand on CCM, so I am not just trying to push a pro-CCM agenda. I am trying to say this argument does not hold up. Traditional music can and does alienate some folks because of its style.

Anyone alienated by traditional hymnody should question their attitude, even their faith.

We've have had such complaints recently, from those come from a Pentecostal church & who just do not know the old hymns. I maintain they should examine the words, & learn to like what is time-honoured. If we need a rock band for worship, where is spirit & truth?

I'm not against instruments. I've recently abandoned the organ in favour of leading the worship using my Indian harmonium. A visiting Indian pastor uses his dhol. (drum) Singing gets more enthusiastic, rather than a struggle. Melody in the heart to the Lord finds its expression.

• Members

I have a friend who has attended "churches" that have loud anplified music and he says that our church music is like the "dirge of all ages" because we sing traditional hymns, although the says he likes the old hymns.

When he says that he would like to come to our church because we have bible teaching and don't do "easy believeism" I said I thought his "lively" church was dead. He looked somewhat shocked so I said that in Revelation, it was the church that had a reputation of being alive, that the Lord said was dead. He then agreed with me. Rev. 3:1

He has now left that church and last time I heard, he was attending an Anglican one.