• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Online Shopping?

• Members

I love going from store to store to store for hours on end but only if the stores are close together. I'm not a fan of driving all over a city to go to stores. When I was young, my city had a main street, and ALL the stores were lined up and down both sides of the street. We simply walked through all the stores, in and out of all the stores up one side of the street and down the other. There was Christmas music playing through loudspeakers outside and the street overhead was decorated with lights and tinsel crossing the street from the tops of the street lights. There was a cross walk in the middle of the downtown mainstreet that had a stop light and people could cross the street safely. There were buses lined up so people could ride a bus to and from downtown, or people could park their cars along main street or on a side street.
I remember the stores all had their own individual smell. Some of the stores had 2 and 3 stories and those stores had elevators run by ladies sitting on stools.
The stores had names like: Sears, Penney's, Roots, Montgomery Ward, Meis, Kresge's, Woolworth's, Schultz, Hillman Jewelers, Smith's, Roger's Jewelers, Jupiter, Fanny Mae Candy, Hornung and Hahn Shoes, Carl Wolf Clothier, A&W restaurant, several banks, drug stores, Coney Island cafe, shoe repair shop, a luggage shop, a tOBacco shop with a wooden Indian out front. I can't remember them all. It was a great way to Christmas shop and I miss it.

• Members

I do both....I go shopping locally for things I need to pick out myself (clothes, stuff I don't trust buying online) or for stocking stuffers or last minute things I see while out.

Online I order books, video games, and some toys if I know exactly what I want and don't want to figure out which store has it. I especially like the free shipping at Amazon, its so easy just to get online at night after the kids are in bed and get stuff delivered right to the door!

• Administrators

I love going from store to store to store for hours on end but only if the stores are close together. I'm not a fan of driving all over a city to go to stores. When I was young, my city had a main street, and ALL the stores were lined up and down both sides of the street. We simply walked through all the stores, in and out of all the stores up one side of the street and down the other. There was Christmas music playing through loudspeakers outside and the street overhead was decorated with lights and tinsel crossing the street from the tops of the street lights. There was a cross walk in the middle of the downtown mainstreet that had a stop light and people could cross the street safely. There were buses lined up so people could ride a bus to and from downtown, or people could park their cars along main street or on a side street.
I remember the stores all had their own individual smell. Some of the stores had 2 and 3 stories and those stores had elevators run by ladies sitting on stools.
The stores had names like: Sears, Penney's, Roots, Montgomery Ward, Meis, Kresge's, Woolworth's, Schultz, Hillman Jewelers, Smith's, Roger's Jewelers, Jupiter, Fanny Mae Candy, Hornung and Hahn Shoes, Carl Wolf Clothier, A&W restaurant, several banks, drug stores, Coney Island cafe, shoe repair shop, a luggage shop, a tOBacco shop with a wooden Indian out front. I can't remember them all. It was a great way to Christmas shop and I miss it.

I remember those days! My grandma worked at Sears for a while, in the ladies department. The thing I remember most about the smell there was popcorn! :lol: The ladies department was near the popcorn machine. I think that may be part of why I love the smell: it reminds me of when I was a little girl visiting grandma at work.

• Members

I haven't done much online this year. Only one thing cause I had to. I've become kind of a scrooge, I guess. lol I don't really like Christmas shopping anymore, it's just stressful trying to worry about getting people things they would like and whether I'll like what I get. Maybe Korea ruined me, I don't know. :P
But you've got all kinds of annoying drivers on the road and bratty kids everywhere that really annoy me like nothing else.

• Administrators

I haven't done much online this year. Only one thing cause I had to. I've become kind of a scrooge, I guess. lol I don't really like Christmas shopping anymore, it's just stressful trying to worry about getting people things they would like and whether I'll like what I get. Maybe Korea ruined me, I don't know. :P
But you've got all kinds of annoying drivers on the road and bratty kids everywhere that really annoy me like nothing else.

Even amidst all the annoyances and brats, Kevin:
:thumb:

• Members

My daughter buys all her groceries on line, just sends the children round the corner to the greengrocer for last minute things. My wife won't do that as she likes to buy the last minute "Reductions for quick sale!" If we go after 8.00 in the evening, the reductions can be most dramatic.

I was in Sainsbury's when I saw a member of staff selecting goods for home delivery and asked her how we could trust them to send the best? She said they were told to select provisions as if they were for themselves. MY daughter used to buy from Asda online (a branch of Walmart) but they sent the wrong things so often, she changed to Tesco online.

I buy mostly computer goods online and have had no trouble. I have come across a couple of scams on Ebay including two for mOBile homes which although gave different names had almost identically worded replies. One I searched for the number and it came up with something completely different. My son in law has had his Ebay account hacked twice with people selling things on his account.

• Members

I do some online shopping. I have Bible Senders listed on goodsearch. Actually it is under our church Walworth Baptist. But I like it because when I do buy items I gt a percentage donated to the ministry each year. This year I got a whopping $18. It is nice because you can find a lot of items that you couldn't find in the store. God bless. :)

• Members

I love buying stuff online! I get stuff off of ebay all the time. I also find stuff from craigslist. I didn't get to participate in cyber monday this time though! Walmart had a lot of their black friday stuff online on that friday. I Like regular shopping though. I guess i like looking at everything. I love shopping at Gormans.