• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thinking about adopting

ptwild

• Members

I'm rather floored, and that takes a lot. As a father, I agree with all those who say you are sounding selfish. A child does not tie you down as much as a wife does, a child ties you down a heck of a lot more then a wife. A wife is a teammate, a child is a dependent. You cannot be a good father and go run off to Bali for a year while your child is being raised by a boarding school.

I am unsure how I feel about a single dad and the "circuMVention of God's Plan" comment. So lets assume that I think that is just fine, I would not be for it for someone with your attitude as displayed here.

I think we are getting into some cultural differences now. In my culture, the way I myself was raised, young men are sent to boarding school around the age of 12 or 13. They are educated by the Church in a proven manner that has exceptional results. I think my parents did a marvelous jOB with me and my siblings and I have no reason to doubt their method. The Bali comment was more for an example than any feasible reality (my work would never allow me to be away for something like that). I know hordes of folks that were raised this way and they are not any different from people who were home schooled throughout childhood (I dare say that they are prOBably a bit more decisive and self reliant). We've got to remember that this whole idea of being a "child" until we are eighteen years old is a fairly novel idea, one that I think is perpetuated by a paternalistic desire to control. Anyway, the way I was raised, after your sixth year of grammer school, it's time to leave home and become a man (I am by no means saying that this is the only, or even the best, mode of raising a child - it's just what seems to work for me and my extended family). And please remember, it is an infant I am considering for adoption. So there is plenty of time for me to raise him before he leaves home. I bounced around the glOBe with my father a bit when I was a child and I not only loved it, but believe that it was some of the best times I've ever had bonding with my dad.

I think some of you have this preconceived notion of how to raise a child and it's just a little bit of culture shock to believe that it can be done any other way. And believe me, I can understand where you are coming from. I couldn't imagine being with my parents until I was eighteen, or even longer. It's as bizarre a thought as getting in my car and driving to the moon.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

people, please leave him alone about marriage. He is happy how he was raised and he doesn't think the child would mind either.

Ptwild, If you decide to do this. You must be sure not to forgot your adopted child as you get involve with your work. his heart is not to mess with. It's bad enough that his parents had to give him up for adoption, it is worst when someone whom he is suppose to learn to trust and love neglect him for work.

• Members

people, please leave him along about marriage. He is happy how he was raised and he doesn't think the child would mind either.

Ptwild, If you decide to do this. You must be sure not to forgot your adopted child as you get involve with your work. his heart is not to mess with. It's bad enough that his parents had to give him up for adoption, it is worst when someone whom he is suppose to learn to trust and love neglect him for work.

Thank you.

• Members

I just hope your nanny is a God -fearing nanny :) and treat him well

I'll be sure that she is, if I do in deed decide to adopt. As I said in the op, I am still praying about it. I just wanted to get an idea about costs and maybe hear from some folks who have adopted children. I really didn't expect to have to take the "suitable adoptive father" test today :icon_mrgreen:

• Members

Trust me, i've thought about it. I have a long term girlfriend and believe you me, she asks the same question. But I've decided that I'm a bachelor. It's just part of who I am. I need to be able to come and go as I want (both for professional and personal reasons) and I just don't want the type of commitment that comes with marriage. If I want to buy a new car, I don't want to have to even consider what someone else might want. If I want to move to Bali for a year, I want to be able to pack my bags and leave without ever consulting another soul. The only benefit of marriage that I can see (for me, I know that others have different ideas and I think that is perfectly fine) is having a few sons, but I've found myself in a situation where I can make that happen without the burden of a wife.

I now feel sorry for you, you say a wife would be a burden, no, a wife is not a burden, never has been, a joy shared with the wife is a joy doubled. Makes me think about what God said of Adam, also the reason the son leaves home.

Feeling that a wife would be a burden, I actually believe a child would be a larger burden.

By the way, a child needs their parent and or parents all the time, they do not need to be farmed out, and with a single parent family the child the parent has has to devote even more time to this child than each parents has to in a double parent family. Just ask someone who is doing this.

• Members

Sometimes it is true, but my grandma's three deaf sisters had to be sent to a residental deaf school. They hardly ever see their parents because the communication barrier (parents didn't know sign languages) so they rarely seen. their parent did visit them time to time but I think sending them to a residential school was better than orphanage... they didn't know how to raise deaf children. But I have to tell you that they all turned out fine. One have a family of her own.. and raised them in a good christian homes. She also had a good marriage too. The other devoted her time in the church and the third died young so my mother was named after her.

• Members

I now feel sorry for you, you say a wife would be a burden, no, a wife is not a burden, never has been, a joy shared with the wife is a joy doubled. Makes me think about what God said of Adam, also the reason the son leaves home.

Feeling that a wife would be a burden, I actually believe a child would be a larger burden.

By the way, a child needs their parent and or parents all the time, they do not need to be farmed out, and with a single parent family the child the parent has has to devote even more time to this child than each parents has to in a double parent family. Just ask someone who is doing this.

In hindsight I guess burden wasn't the best word. I should have said "responsibilities." I'm sure the majority of people are ok with the responsibilities of a marriage, it's just not something I'm interested in.

And I agree that a child needs their parent(s) all the time. However, i do not agree this means that a child needs their parent to be physically right beside them holding their hand all the way. I know the way I was raised seems strange to a lot of people here, but I assure you that I had a normal childhood. I was raised in a home with both parents until I was twelve, then I started spending around 185 days a year at school. I wasn't "farmed out." I had a very loving and supportive home life and I believe I can offer the same to a child.

• Members

I recall a great message preached to parents, the pastor said, what children need more than any thing is parents who will spend quality time with them. The only way to spend quality time with your children is to spend much time with them. During that much time spent with them throughout the years there will be quality time spread throughout it. That is you cannot schedule spending quality time with children, it take much time spent with them to have any quality time.

I grew up from the age of 5 with a father and mother who spent much time with me. When I was sick they were always there for me, holding me and or taking me to the doctor if necessary. In fact there were always there when needed throughout the years. I always had clothes to wear, a warm bed, food to eat, and the necessities. Looking back I would not trade my father and mother for anyone's parents, not even the rich boys who was in my class who always had the best of everything and even a new car to drive when he turned 16th them another one upon graduation form high school.

As for me, I can't see how any parent can go off and spend a week, two weeks, or longer and not seeing their child. I don't understand how they can separate from them by sending them off to boarding school.

The main thing a child needs is there father and mother, ones who will take time for them and be there for them, you cannot improve on the plan that God set in place.

• Members

I can't either, Jerry#, but it does happen

it was, and still is, done. Especially a parent had to send their blind or deaf child to a residential school (which similar to boarding school). It is not done as much today because we have a better education system but parents still send them to one because they felt it is a better place for them to be.

• Members

I definitely disagree with the idea of a single person adopting a child and then hiring a nanny for it. What is the point? Is this what is best for "me" or what is best for the child?

God didn't set things up this way..... no offense. Of course you are free to do as you wish, but that's just my opinion on the matter, since its a public discussion board.