• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your Dating/Courting Philosophy

• Members

Courtship for our family mean's that the "Young man and Young lady" are going out on a family function with one or both families. This also mean's they could go with our Pastor's family. Actually there are only two other families in our church we would feel comfortable with their going as well. They are never alone because this just put's them in a situation of temptation not needed. I never thought about that meaning different thing's to different people!! Thank's Kitagirl for saying something!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Courtship for our family mean's that the "Young man and Young lady" are going out on a family function with one or both families. This also mean's they could go with our Pastor's family. Actually there are only two other families in our church we would feel comfortable with their going as well. They are never alone because this just put's them in a situation of temptation not needed. I never thought about that meaning different thing's to different people!! Thank's Kitagirl for saying something!!

Yes, cutting out the times that they are alone, when alone is when temptations creeps in.

Seems to me when dating people spend much time alone, in courtships they do not.

Big difference.

• Members

I guess I was raised being taught against dating as a teen, and against single dating...I never heard the word "courtship" until I was in college and beyond.... I guess its just a new word for old standards?

I just always was taught that you don't single date, that you date with adult chaperones.

• Members

Well I've been dateable age for 6 months then. :icon_mrgreen:

I might have to rethink and raise the age. :wink You know, us senior citizens always reserve the right to change our opinion at the drop of a hat.

Records are made to break.

Linda turned 21 in December 67, we married May 68. I turned 22 in December 67.

• Members

I might have to rethink and raise the age. :wink You know, us senior citizens always reserve the right to change our opinion at the drop of a hat.

Records are made to break.

Linda turned 21 in December 67, we married May 68. I turned 22 in December 67.

You married the same time as my parents. But she just graduated from High school in 67. My parents were married 68, so I was told. My dad was 23 years old

• Members

I really don't know that I planed on getting married are that i ever set out to find a wife. I met Linda in late 67 while home for Thanksgiving.

We set up a weekend to see one another that I thought I would be able to get back home. But the Air Force changed my mind because a base alert hit our base and no one could leave.

So I called her to tell her about the situation and asked if we could make it Christmas Eve 67, she agreed.

I'm not sure how many time we got to see one another between them and May 18, 68 when we married, but it was just a very few.

It just seems we hit it off good and had mostly a long distance relationship with a letter or two each week and a phone call each weekend unless I could slip away from the base.

I might add, I was suppose to come in once more where we could go to the court house and get our marriage license. But the Air Force messed that up and all I could do was mail by blood test to her. Linda and her mother went to the court house and got them with her mother signing
my name and paying for them. :thumb:

I might add, going back to my Air Force bases after Christmas of 67 I thought I had found the right one. After marrying Linda told me after that 1st Christmas Eve that she had told her mother that she had met the man she would marry. Said her mother asked her, did he ask you that? She replied, "No, but I know!"

I really think that many times God sends the right one along at a time we're not expecting it.

• Members

My parents knew each other for a long time before they were married. My mom remember him the most when he came over and played the guitar. Both of my grandparents were friends at the time so that's how they met. But my mother was dating this guy at the time so they didn't get in relationship until after high school. This guy she was dating, she had to bring her older sister everywhere. But he wasn't the right guy for her as he was always an angry and controlling and she didn't like that. So she broke up with him, began to see my dad.

My dad was a gentle guy, he has prOBlems but He wasn't harsh with us. We were never afraid that he would come and hurt us and that was a good thing.

• Members

Can I say something without being completely out of line here, this is something that has been on my heart for a while. I am not pointing fingers to anyone on here. But married people make me more depressed than anyone else, they talk about marriage to the fact of talking like singleness was some type of bondage they endured until God allowed them to be married, and so they have this attitude that you need to hurry up and get married so you can release yourself from the bonds of singleness. I've never heard anyone say they enjoyed being single before they got married.

Sometimes it makes me feel abnormal because I don't feel particularally trapped in singleness, nor do I feel like it is a bondage. I do want to get married some day but I don't feel like it has to be tomorrow. Why mess up the plan for my life that God has right now? Most of my single friends feel so pressured to get married they can't focus on serving God because everyone in their church is pressuring them to get married. It hurts that people make us feel inadequate because we do not have a mate. Ok, so I admit I feel pressured too, but I don't feel like people should be pressuring me. Some of the ladies in my church make it a point to tell me several times a month that I am prOBably going to miss my chance when God sends it along if I don't jump on it.

Sorry that was somewhat of a rant. I just think we should be more careful with our words as Christians.

• Members

No one should hurry any of you. Wait patiently and God will give you the right husband for you.

Although if you want to get marry and have a family, You will have to be aware that your biological clock is ticking. And all the good guys will be taken, and you'll more likely be stuck with divorced guys once you hit in your 30's and 40's. My brother married in his mid-thirties, and he married someone who is divorced with two kids. She is a wonderful person and so are her children so I don't have a prOBlem with it. just that it is what you will have to deal with. Other than that, The right one will come along no matter what.

If you don't care either way, then don't worry about it. There are lots of single people who are happy the way they are.

• Members

No one should hurry any of you. Wait patiently and God will give you the right husband for you.

Although you want to get marry and have a family, You will have to be aware that your biological clock is ticking. And all the good guys will be taken, and you'll more likely be stuck with divorced guys once you hit in your 30's and 40's. My brother married in his mid-thirties, and he married someone who is divorced with two kids. She is a wonderful person and so are her children so I don't have a prOBlem with it. just that it is what you will have to deal with.

I think the first two sentences would have been a good place to stop. :lol:

I think it is normal for married adults to try and put a little pressure on those that aren't because they are glad to be married themselves and so think everyone else should hurry up and get married too. :reaction:

Actually the normal harassment single people get doesn't really bother me all that much, I just wanted to use that smiley. :wink

• Administrators

And a great smiley that is, Seth! :lol: I really like that one.

I agree that there is a lot of pressure sometimes exerted on single people to marry. I try not to do that, because I was 26 before I married - and I was happy being single and teaching school before that (although I did want a hubby). My brother is 51 and has never married - and never intends to (when he was younger he wanted to, but now he's so set in his ways, he doesn't think it'd be a good idea...of course, God could always change that. :coverlaugh:). My sister has been married twice, and other than her kids, would have been better off staying single!!

• Members

I only said it because many of my single family told me they wanted to marry and have kids, but they are in their 30's now. Still not married or have kids. They are getting quite frustrated because their biological clock is running out ( They are coming up to me feeling a little depressed about it because they hoped for a family) and everyone is taken but they have accepted they don't want to get marry and have kids after all.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pregnancy-after-35/PR00168