• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

98 yr old woman kills 100 yr old room mate

• Members
A grand jury has indicted a 98-year-old woman on a second-degree-murder charge for allegedly killing her 100-year-old roommate in a dispute over the room they shared at a nursing home in Dartmouth.

Elizabeth Barrow celebrated her 100th birthday on Aug. 21. (family photo)

Laura Lundquist, who prosecutors believe is the oldest person ever charged with murder in Massachusetts, has been charged with strangling Elizabeth Barrow in the Brandon Woods Nursing Home on Sept. 24.

Killed by strangulation? We need to register and create a database of everyones hands!

Entire Story Here

• Moderators

I suppose she wasn't afraid of getting a life sentence....

Having been involved in nursing home ministries in 3 states and having 2 kids who have worked in nursing homes, let me assure you ----- she was already serving a life sentence.

• Members

Yes, its very sad.

Some people fit into the nursing homes quite well living happily, some don't, so its not like a life sentence to many of them.

Some that feel this way like its a life sentence, would not be happy anywhere they might be.

And a nursing home, at least in most cases, is better than being left at home and not being able to care for ones self with something terrible happening to them them found hours and or days later.

I say this from what I've witnessed in many nursing homes.

Years ago Linda and I had elderly neighbors. Once in while they would ask me for help doing a few things which I had told them any time I can help please call. One day about supper time they did. I remember the prOBlem was in the kitchen, but I don't remember what it was. All that stands out is I saw two plates setting on the table, each plate had one piece of bread on it, a glass of milk setting besides of the plate.

When I got back home I told Linda, so she fixed some food and we both took it over, they ate it like they were starving to death. From them on us and the neighbor that lived on the other side of them carried them one meal per day every day until their children who lived in a far away city finally did something.

Most nursing homes would be better than starving, and many other things that cam happen to the elderly person in their very own home.

• Members
Years ago Linda and I had elderly neighbors. Once in while they would ask me for help doing a few things which I had told them any time I can help please call. One day about supper time they did. I remember the prOBlem was in the kitchen, but I don't remember what it was. All that stands out is I saw two plates setting on the table, each plate had one piece of bread on it, a glass of milk setting besides of the plate.

When I got back home I told Linda, so she fixed some food and we both took it over, they ate it like they were starving to death. From them on us and the neighbor that lived on the other side of them carried them one meal per day every day until their children who lived in a far away city finally did something.

That is extremely sad Jerry. The story made my eyes water a bit. It is not right for the elderly to not be taken care of. I am so glad that you, your wife, and neighbors had compassion on these folks and took them a meal once a day. You showed them the love of Jesus Christ. Did their kids not know about their condition, or did they just ignore their condition?

• Members

We too were broken hearts to think this had been going on right next door to us. At that time we would see them outside at some time every day, plus they would leave in their car and come back home. Seems if they had forgotten about proper eating, that may not be the right way to express it. I did learn from that this happens to many elderly people.

We contacted their children which lived about 300 plus miles away about this, but it was over a year before they finally did any thing about it. Although they did come in about 2 weeks after we called and spent the weekend with their parents.

Wow, I will be 63 next week, I've seen several parents neglected in this manner. I once spoke and elderly couples son who lives off from here. He informed me that he did not owe his parents one thing, they will just have to care for self. I'm amazed at how some people feel towards their parents and completely neglect them.

• Members
He informed me that he did not owe his parents one thing, they will just have to care for self. I'm amazed at how some people feel towards their parents and completely neglect them.

Unfortunately, a lot of that is the parent's fault. They raise their kids as brats and many times, quite honestly, they are brats themselves. I was just out shopping last night in a department store and was amazed at how many mothers were standing there bantering back and forth with their young children. There was no respect and, frankly, the mothers didn't deserve it because they were acting the same way as their kids were acting. I'm so grateful that my parents didn't raise me like that and, consequently, nothing is more important to me than family, which is why I want to live close by and LOVE family reunions. lol

• Moderators

Jerry#s: you hit on the very reason I say most are serving a life sentence, not because they don't like the facility itself --- but, because the very kids who pitched them in there NEVER or VERY seldom visit.

Just like widows have gOBs of help the first week of widowhood and are practically forgotten about afterwords, they get visits for the first year (maybe) and then are left to die alone (no, not all --- but FAR too many).

• Members

I worked in a nursing home, and people do get violent especially if they have Alzheimer's or Dementia, there so there's no surprise that this would happen. I've always figured it will bound to happen sooner or later. Their mental state is usually the reason why some people are put in nursing homes in the first place. It's hard to send them to places like these but some family worry their safety. They also can't keep them home either because they can get violent. My gmother's second husband had alzheimer's but she kept him home anyway. It was very difficult because he would hit and smack people especially the children (he used to slap me when I was child for irrational reasons).

But working at a nursing home, some of them got just as violent as he did.

I always wonder why alzheimer's hit the hardest on white people. I rarely see any other race in nursing homes and i doubt it is because they keep them home unless it is money prOBlem... but people with severe alzheimer's are very difficult to handle so that's why I doubt they keep them at home.

• Members

Jerry#s: you hit on the very reason I say most are serving a life sentence, not because they don't like the facility itself --- but, because the very kids who pitched them in there NEVER or VERY seldom visit.

Just like widows have gOBs of help the first week of widowhood and are practically forgotten about afterwords, they get visits for the first year (maybe) and then are left to die alone (no, not all --- but FAR too many).

I have this CRAZY idea. Because so many people love sitting in Bookstores or libraries, I think nursing homes should sit right next to it... So if they want to buy and read a book, they can go over next door and read at loud to them in the nursing home lounge. It would be walking distance, not a driving distance so they have no excuse.