• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

2 Kings 3:1-14

• Members

I was struck by this verse today:

2 Kings 3:14 And Elisha said, As the LORD of hosts liveth, before whom I stand, surely, were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat the king of Judah, I would not look toward thee, nor see thee.

Here we have a prophet of God saying he would have refused to even look at the king of Israel had not Jehoshaphat king of Judah been with him. Why? From verse 13 we see the king of Israel knew that Elisha was the real deal and that God was the only one with real power. In spite of that knowledge we see this passage at the beginning of the chapter:

2 Kings 3:1-3 Now Jehoram the son of Ahab began to reign over Israel in Samaria the eighteenth year of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, and reigned twelve years. And he wrought evil in the sight of the LORD; but not like his father, and like his mother: for he put away the image of Baal that his father had made. Nevertheless he cleaved unto the sins of JerOBoam the son of Nebat, which made Israel to sin; he departed not therefrom.

It seems that he was willing to put away the most gross sins in Israel which revolved around the worship of baal, but he would not take a firm stand for what he knew to be right and deal with the false prophets of his parents nor destroy the golden calves in Dan and Bethel. Those calves were politically beneficial since they kept Israelites from going up to Jerusalem so he kept them no doubt for the same reason JerOBoam set them up. He wanted to be just a "little better" than the wicked kingdoms around him and still be able fall back on God when he needed him. That attempt to play both sides and have as much wickedness as possible while staying just a little better than the heathen nations round about was so revolting and contrary to the character of who God is that the prophet Elisha didn't even want to speak to him. That then reminded me of this verse:

"Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth."

And these to:

"Proverbs 1:24-31 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices."

I guess that goes to show how seriously God views those trying to stay on the fence and how important it is for us not to sit on that fence or fellowship with those who are.