• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Evangelical Lutheran leader suggests Bible not the final authority

• Members

Ephesians 5:4 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Kevin, I learned that verse in NIV a long time before I was an IFB, if you think the verse I just posted does not apply go look in your modern version--LOL, even the NIV doesn't get it wrong.

That verse does not elaborate on what "filthiness" or "foolish talking" is. We do know that the Greeks and Hebrews were not using English, so it is very difficult to know exactly what St. Paul is referring to.

And if you assume that the word -hit is "filthy" because it can refer to bodily waste, then would you also contend that even techincal terms for the same are prohibited?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That verse does not elaborate on what "filthiness" or "foolish talking" is. We do know that the Greeks and Hebrews were not using English, so it is very difficult to know exactly what St. Paul is referring to.

And if you assume that the word -hit is "filthy" because it can refer to bodily waste, then would you also contend that even techincal terms for the same are prohibited?

In public, in normal conversation......YES! I'll bet that one's a "new one" for you, isn't it?

• Members

Oh, and I do think we can know what St. Paul is referring to. Just go and look up the Greek. Like I said, even the MV, the NIV does NOT get this wrong. Go look it up, it is quite clear, just many people don't like what it says.

Are you suggesting that St. Paul meant "don't talk about goint to the bathroom."

• Members

What do you mean by "new one"?

That it is a "standard" that you don't come across often. Our society has slipped sooooooooooooo far that what was once a common standard has now become a rare thing and the younger generations have no clue that such a standard was ever kept and that the Bible actually backs it up.

• Members

Are you suggesting that St. Paul meant "don't talk about goint to the bathroom."

Are you trying to cause a diversion with your question, rather than going to look at what the Bible says? I am pointing out what the BIBLE says, not analyzing Paul's personality and habits.

• Members

Ephesians 5:4 4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

Kevin, I learned that verse in NIV a long time before I was an IFB, if you think the verse I just posted does not apply go look in your modern version--LOL, even the NIV doesn't get it wrong.

Very well, if you insist. lol

OBscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. NLT

I don't think that a Christian should use the word sh*t just because of the cultural view regarding it. Christianity is affected by culture, whether we like to admit it or not. Vulgar words are considered vulgar based on our culture and I think that using a word like that would be a poor testimony for a Christian.

• Members

OBscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. NLT

I don't think that a Christian should use the word sh*t just because of the cultural view regarding it. Christianity is affected by culture, whether we like to admit it or not. Vulgar words are considered vulgar based on our culture and I think that using a word like that would be a poor testimony for a Christian.

Thank you, Kevin. :wink

• Members

I agree 100% :thumb: Our culture tells us certain words are vulgar, not the scriptures.

• Members

I agree 100% :thumb: Our culture tells us certain words are vulgar, not the scriptures.

I would be careful using our world as the standard for what is vulgar and OBscene. The world's standards is in a state of decline. People are so rude, and there is no common courtesy or regard for others in much of the youth. People don't even get dressed half the time, they think it is perfectly normal to go to the store in pajamas. I remember as a kid that if you were not properly dressed with shoes, and such, the business would not serve you! We as Christians, need to be very careful of our speech and not just draw the line at what is considered "swear words". Colossians 4:6 says, "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

Btw, Kev, my thank you was for looking it up and not being stubborn.

• Members

I would be careful using our world as the standard for what is vulgar and OBscene. The world's standards is in a state of decline. People are so rude, and there is no common courtesy or regard for others in much of the youth. People don't even get dressed half the time, they think it is perfectly normal to go to the store in pajamas. I remember as a kid that if you were not properly dressed with shoes, and such, the business would not serve you! We as Christians, need to be very careful of our speech and not just draw the line at what is considered "swear words". Colossians 4:6 says, "Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man."

Btw, Kev, my thank you was for looking it up and not being stubborn.

I don't use "the world's" standard. I use my culture's standard. And considering that I live in the societal south, my culture is unflinching rigid when it comes to speech, etiquette, manners, and decorum.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? It sounds like a horrible place.

• Members

lol. I'm never stubborn. :frog:

I agree that we can't act based on what the world is doing. Neither my mother or sister ever open the door going into a store or restaurant or any other girl I happen to be with. I also think that respect and politeness is very important, especially after living in an uber-polite culture like Korea for a year.

Some things, however, are based on culture. For example, poop, junk and sh*t all mean the same thing. Our culture views each of them differently, though. Poop is the most mild followed by the second and third words. Most people today use the third word but there is still the general acknowledgment that it is the worst of the three words and most people would prOBably be surprised to hear a Christian use it.

• Members

I don't use "the world's" standard. I use my culture's standard. And considering that I live in the societal south, my culture is unflinching rigid when it comes to speech, etiquette, manners, and decorum.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live? It sounds like a horrible place.

I live in Michigan, and believe me, sometimes I think it is horrible. It will eventually filter your way, sin has a way of spreading in a society that bases how well they are doing by looking at those around them instead of looking into the perfect mirror, God's Word.