• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Forums decreasing

Anon

• Members

Anyone notice that forums overall seem to be slowing down for the most part?

I thought about why, and I think its because of Facebook and other networking sites. Forums are becoming less needed for fellowship I guess.

I only visit one forum that is still as active as it ever was and that's a cake forum but its the biggest cake decorating site on the net.... otherwise seems like most forums are slowing down.

Just an OBservation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Anyone notice that forums overall seem to be slowing down for the most part?

I thought about why, and I think its because of Facebook and other networking sites. Forums are becoming less needed for fellowship I guess.

I only visit one forum that is still as active as it ever was and that's a cake forum but its the biggest cake decorating site on the net.... otherwise seems like most forums are slowing down.

Just an OBservation.

Maybe, but I haven't really noticed it in the forums I visit...

• Members

I think it's because of all the arguing. I have talked to others about the arging prOBlems, and they agree. I have left several web forum sites because of all the arguing. Most all site guidelines say they don't want any arguing, but it goes on anway.
Arguing is another form of fighting. If I have to fight with someone on any site, I will leave that site. Or if I feel that their trying to start a fight or argument.
Fighting is for inmature people and kids, anyway.

• Members

No, I think it is facebook and other social networking. It is fun to see what your family is up to, almost addicting in a way. But I quit Facebook for something else. I got tired of reading people discrediting Christ (especially from own family), and treating Facebook as a political opportunity.

• Administrators

I have a lot of things planned for OB that will add a lot more of the social network type stuff to OB. This will all be done while leaving the messageboards the same. Unfortunately, time is not on my side here. With preaching, and all the webdesign stuff going on I do not have plans to do it anytime soon.

But hey if any of you out there would like to work on the OB development of things, just let me know. We will definitely throw plugs your way, and it may be a great reference for you in the future.

• Members

I used to frequent three forums that were way busier than this one. All lasted between 5 and 9 years and for the most part were growing or were stable. But all three declined very quickly when they did decline. The one that lasted nine years just died a death in little over 12 months back in 2002. So forums have been springing up and dying for years--I'm not sure it is something that is particularly prevalent now. Another forum I occasionally look at is very big indeed and has grown very quickly over the past 2 years or so.

Regarding Facebook, I would be surpised if it caused the death of any forum, because it does a different thing to most discussion forums. You don't have chats and discussions with groups of relative strangers on Facebook--it just has no facility for that. Everyone I know just uses it to keep in touch with close friends and family.

• Members

I became a forum addict for a while. I was so hooked on the FFF that I literally could not stop. That has since changed and I visit once in a while. Same with here, I am mostly burned out on forums. I still like them but it is not what it use to be. I use facebook and Twitter a little but I am not even that fond of those. I really like Livemocha because I am learning with others. It intrests me...hopefully I don't get burned out on that. Next step will be Crystal Meth or something...J/K but I think you already know that.

• Members

I became a forum addict for a while. I was so hooked on the FFF that I literally could not stop. That has since changed and I visit once in a while. Same with here, I am mostly burned out on forums. I still like them but it is not what it use to be. I use facebook and Twitter a little but I am not even that fond of those. I really like Livemocha because I am learning with others. It intrests me...hopefully I don't get burned out on that. Next step will be Crystal Meth or something...J/K but I think you already know that.

Sounds like fun! Can I sign up for your twelve step program? Looking forward to the last step...haha!:bleh: