• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

John R. Rice

• Members

This week I bring up John R. Rice for your comments on his ministry and thoughts concerning his teachings and writings. Most of you know prOBably more about him than I do, so I will simply mention his founding of The Sword of the Lord and he wrote numerous books and booklets throughout his life. He is hailed by many fundamentalists as "one of the greats", yet many have ridiculed him as closed minded and judgemental towards other christians. His staff once reported that during his ministry they received 22,923 letters from individuals who had accepted Christ as a result of reading John R. Rice's books, booklets, or Sermons published in the Sword of the Lord. He went home to be with the Lord in 1980.

What are your thoughts concerning the ministry of John R. Rice? Was he one of the most sound biblical scholars and fundamentalists, as hailed by some? Or maybe he was the judgemental and closed minded individual as some have accused? I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

God Bless,

Futurehope

• Administrators

I loved John R. Rice. Never met him personally, but I wrote him a letter about something that was really bothering me spiritually - and he wrote back. With his busy schedule, I was impressed. At the time, there were no churches we could attend, so I was thankful for his spiritual words, which really helped me greatly at the time.

He is actually a very readable writer. Very down to earth and biblical. We have several of his books, and they are books that we re-read from time to time.

My hubby has some of the original SOTL papers, with both Rice brothers. They are really neat.

• Members

I had heard good things about him all my life but when I got older I read several of his books. It has been several years but I recall wondering why he was so highly recommended since I was distinctly unimpressed and highly doubtful about some of the doctrinal content and some statements made in passing. His writings didn't seem to be anywhere near the caliber I had been led to expect. :twocents: