• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

six fingers and six toes - thoughts?

• Members

2Sa 21:20* And there was yet a battle in Gath, where was a man of great stature, that had on every hand six fingers, and on every foot six toes, four and twenty in number; and he also was born to the giant.

Comments on the six fingers and six toes? Significance?

• Members

I really think it was just a birth defect...for him to be that large, was also prOBably a hormone prOBlem, similar to "Andre the Giant" and others with "gigantism".

On the other hand, "6" is the number of man and could be symbolic of his wickedness.

• Members

I have heard that there is a spiritual significance to nearly everything in the Bible...and while I don't get into detailed numerology, I think its possible that the number "6" in this story could help point out that this man was wicked.

But I do agree that scientifically its just a genetic prOBlem.

• Members

I had a lady ask me about this in last Wed. Bible study. She wanted to know why "giants all had 6 fingers and 6 toes." I could only recall this one story (recorded in two books) of anyone having such features. But thinking maybe I missed something I told her I'd write her a little answer and bring this week....

• Members

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya... ;-)

You killed my father. Prepare to die.

LOL...I was waiting for someone to bring that up. It was the first thought I had when reading the headline!!

I would agree with those that say it is only a birth defect. I have not looked into this much though. I would have to read more about giants to figure out if they all had six fingers and six toes.

• Members

The Bible specifically mentions this man's condition as an extraordinary thing, so I don't think others would have the same number of extra digits.

Yes, I agree the number 6 could ALSO indicate a spiritual meaning - but it is also a literal statement - the man did not have six symbolic fingers and toes but literal ones, which may be symbolic of his evil.

• 10 years later...
  • Moderators
14 hours ago, Korz said:

Holman Christian Standard Bible
At Gath there was still another battle. A huge man was there with six fingers on each hand and six toes on each foot--24 in all. He, too, was ?descended from the √giant.?

The OP has 2 Sam 21:20 in the posting. He utilized the King James, as is within the forum guidelines. Any particular reason for putting the passage up (as an entire post, no less) in the HCSB, in violation of site rules?