• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Holy Spirit and the Rapture

• Members

To No Nicolaitans

Jesus said "John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart,I will send Him unto you."

When Jesus was there the comforter or Holy Spirit was not there.

God is Spirit and Omnipresent.

Where did you get that little purple face with the dropping jaw? I love it !!!!!!

• Members

To No Nicolaitans

Jesus said "John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; it is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart,I will send Him unto you."

When Jesus was there the comforter or Holy Spirit was not there.

God is Spirit and Omnipresent.

Where did you get that little purple face with the dropping jaw? I love it !!!!!!

You're reading too much into that. Jesus was referring to the fact that after he left, the Holy Spirit would come to indwell believers.

The Holy Spirit is God...sharing all the same attributes.

Again I ask, "if" the Holy Spirit isn't omnipresent, then how can he indwell every individual believer...at the same time?

"If" the Holy Spirit isn't omnipresent, then how is he able to...reprove the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8)?

People all over the world are sinning...at the same time. There are people all over the world, whom the Holy Spirit reproves of sin, righteousness, and judgment...at the same time.

Eric, does your church hold this doctrine? If not, you need to be forthright with your church and resign as a Sunday School teacher. At least be forthright enough to inform your pastor that you disagree with their position on the Holy Spirit's attributes, and allow him to decide whether you continue teaching or not.

If your church does hold this doctrine... :tapping:

To find the "jaw drop" and other emoticons...there is a smiley face located on the reply box. Click on it, and a tool bar appears below the reply box. Directly under that tool bar you will see the words "Show All"...click on "Show All". A new window will pop up with ALL of the available emoticons. To add one to your reply, click on the smiley you want to use. If you like one of the faces in the first tool bar that appears, you can just click on that face without clicking "Show All".

• Members

To No Nicolaitans,

You're reading too much into that. Jesus was referring to the fact that after he left, the Holy Spirit would come to indwell believers.

The Holy Spirit is God...sharing all the same attributes.

Again I ask, "if" the Holy Spirit isn't omnipresent, then how can he indwell every individual believer...at the same time?

"If" the Holy Spirit isn't omnipresent, then how is he able to...reprove the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8)?

Ok, you make a good point. Do you think the Holy Spirit was there with Jesus but not to indwell the Christians till Jesus left?

Edited by Eric Stahl

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Is there a valid contextual reason why the withholder should be considered to be the Holy Spirit, or that the events should take place after the rapture?

No ther isn't.

The teaching that the holy spirit will be removed is a Plymouth Brethren teaching, by wrenching a scripture completely out of its context.

Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

This, of course, referred to the time God Gave them to repent whilst Noah built the ark.

• Members

I believe that the INFLUENCE of the Holy Spirit indwelling the Church will be removed at the time of the Rapture. Since the Holy Spirit is God, He is omnipresent, He will not disappear. He will work as He did during the OT time...He will not INDWELL those who get saved during the tribulation, but He will COME UPON those people.

• Members

Why then do dispies teach that the Holy Spirit is absent?

Absent? Who teaches he is absent? I can see dispensations in the Bible. However, the Holy Spirit is very God as much as any member of the trinity. He is everywhere. I'm not so sure what His will is after the church is taken out.

• Members

Absent? Who teaches he is absent? I can see dispensations in the Bible. However, the Holy Spirit is very God as much as any member of the trinity. He is everywhere. I'm not so sure what His will is after the church is taken out.

Most teach the Holy Ghost is removed when the Rapture takes place. They say this is why the devil and wickedness runs rampant at that time.

However, the idea the Holy Ghost is removed from the earth and yet there are to be many saved at the same time doesn't agree with what Scripture says regarding the Holy Ghost and salvation.

• Members

The idea of the removal of the Holy Spirit is from 2 Thes. 2:

And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time.

For the mystery of iniquity d
ot
h already work: only he who now letteth will let, u
nt
il he be taken out of the way.

The context is the temple destruction that must take place according to Jesus' Olivet prophecy before the return. I understand that the Jerusalem church is the withholder, which will be removed - by flight - before the destruction. See Mat. 24, & compare with the days of Lot.

• Members

I believe that the INFLUENCE of the Holy Spirit indwelling the Church will be removed at the time of the Rapture. Since the Holy Spirit is God, He is omnipresent, He will not disappear. He will work as He did during the OT time...He will not INDWELL those who get saved during the tribulation, but He will COME UPON those people.

I agree

• Members

Most teach the Holy Ghost is removed when the Rapture takes place. They say this is why the devil and wickedness runs rampant at that time.

However, the idea the Holy Ghost is removed from the earth and yet there are to be many saved at the same time doesn't agree with what Scripture says regarding the Holy Ghost and salvation.

John, I used to quote 2 Thes. 2:6&7 for the very reason you mention but, the Holy Ghost is very God and present everywhere. The only thing which would make that assumption correct is if the triune God we worship took out the WORK of the Holy Spirit. That is, He is still present but not doing the same thing.

“God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?” – Hebrews 2:4

I'm busy with another study and hope to begin eschatology next. Then I'll better be able to contribute to many of these interesting discussions.

• Members

The Plymouth Brethren do. I spent a number of years in the Brethren and that is what they always taught at the time. What they teach now, I don't know. They were very exclusive at the time, but now the church I went to is a major player in Churches together.

They based their teaching on mis-applying Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

As you know they pope of the brethren, J N Darby was the inventor of dispensationalism.

• Members

The Plymouth Brethren do. I spent a number of years in the Brethren and that is what they always taught at the time. What they teach now, I don't know. They were very exclusive at the time, but now the church I went to is a major player in Churches together.

They based their teaching on mis-applying Gen 6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

As you know they pope of the brethren, J N Darby was the inventor of dispensationalism.

I never met or heard of J N Darby before.