• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

non-ifb Song of solomon discussion

• Members

Sorry, and I agree with you. But I was actually thinking of something else, not you. People don't want to think God in that way. They are denial and think sex is bad. Especially, if they've been used for sex and not for relationship or love . Few people always told me that men are selfish and their brain is down in their pant. They always made me think sex was bad and they seem SHOCKED the bible mention that is it ok to have sex (in marriage bed). Some people taught that sex should only be for procreation and not for pleasure. That is, if you don't plan on having a child, do not have sex, even if you are married.

but that's ok if you believe differently in SoS. The Spiritual message is still the same rather it is sexual or not.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sorry, and I agree with you. But I was actually thinking of something else, not you. People don't want to think God in that way. They are denial and think sex is bad. Especially, if they've been used for sex and not for relationship or love . Few people always told me that men are selfish and their brain is down in their pant. They always made me think sex was bad and they seem SHOCKED the bible mention that is it ok to have sex (in marriage bed). Some people taught that sex should only be for procreation and not for pleasure. That is, if you don't plan on having a child, do not have sex, even if you are married.

but that's ok if you believe differently in SoS. The Spiritual message is still the same rather it is sexual or not.

I understand what your saying.

I could tell you some things that I heard men say about sex and or even what some fathers have said to their son, it would burn your ears very bad.

Ge 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

Romans 3:12 (KJV)

That is one reason we need to protect, guard, our brain, after bad thoughts, evil things, into our mind, that thought will come back to us from time to time. If they are not planted there, they will not come back and bother us, cannot tempt us.

I know several Christians that read romance novels, some of them read stuff that is worse than romance novels, that watch soap operas, that go and watch R rated movies, that looks at those girlie books. This exposes ones mind to many things it should never witness. We can't play with sin, sooner or later it will bite us.

As one man said, "Sometimes our happeness depends on what we have not seen and or have put in our mind." We have enough temptations facing us without allowing so much junk to enter our minds.

• Members
The Spiritual message is still the same rather it is sexual or not.

Hey, thanks for the post, but I do want to call out this one issue. I'm confused what spiritual message you are referring to?

From my reading, SoS is a celebration of marital passion with a challenge to not awaken love until its time. I.e. the spiritual message of the book is to not explore sex until marriage. If the book is not about sex, then the main point of the book is different. When we try to Jesusify every old testament passage, we end up doing damage to the text. Are their spiritual parallels that can be concluded, sure, but to study properly, we need to go find the original intent of the author, and I do not think (from reading the book) that the author intended to make any other spiritual message except that marital passion is wonderful, so avoid sex until marriage.

• Members

I'm just the type of of person who believe everything was created for a reason. So I am talking about Spiritual parallel.
people who never been married (of course there are married people who do the same thing) and read SoS in their study sometimes see it differently... And I don't find anything wrong with their views as I viewed it the same way at first. I found God's plan for Christ unfolded everywhere in the Old Testament. And I always felt that SoS was spiritual. But as I studied more about weddings and marriages and what it stood for (especially a Jewish wedding) and why we have them, SoS became more clear that it could be about sex. I had a very hard time believing it was at first because I felt sex was a terrible sin and marriage was created just for that.

• Members

I am trying to be as gentle as I can with this, but scripture can't mean one thing to one person and another to another. We may have gotten it wrong (and frankly, I could be wrong with my position) so we need to be willing to entertain other ideas to check ourselves, but we can't say its OK for you to interpret this passage this way for you, and I will interpret it this way for me. Applications of truths can differ (like what is modest dress), but the meaning of the passage cannot differ. I just want to make sure that is not what is being said.

• Members

Truth is a funny thing. What is espoused as Biblical truth in one era is then explained away by another as lack of knowledge or apostasy.

I agree with you dwayner that real "truth" doesn't change; but people's interpretation or understanding of truth certainly does differ and at times change.

• Members

for the most part, I do agree with you DW79, but in this case, I'm letting it drop. If people want to see it as spiritual, fine, let them. I don't think SoS is a requirement to read for salvation, unless I'm wrong. Another reason I'm letting it drop because if it is sexual or about marriage love, people are asked not to read so it can be a sensitive issue. Plus if it is sexual (which I think it is about passionate love), people who are a virgin and never married will prOBably have a hard time understanding it so they are more likely to read it on the spiritual side of SoS-- well some of them anyway--

• Members

Dwayner,

I think you have done a good jOB with your posts here as well as others. I agree with TRC, it's very difficult for me to understand why people have such a hard time accepting that SoS is about the marriage relationship and the wonderful physical, emotional, and spiritual combinative connection that comes with it (though I can recognize the spiritual parallels which I do agree are important to see). When we think about it, marriage is the very first institution which God ordained for us, yet we fight against the idea that God would adress all aspects of the marriage in His word. Just doesn't make much sense to fight against that. But that's just my two cents.

2Timothy, I look forward to your posts after you finish studying, as I always enjoy and gain from the wisdom God blesses you with. I'll pray that this topic will be no different than those of the past.

God Bless to all,

Futurehope