Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Dr. James Dobson

Rate this topic

futurehope

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tools for the Ministry

A certain psychologist may add some Biblical things into what he practices or teaches - but psychology itself is unbiblical. Freud was a sexual pervert and Jung was into the occult and got some of his beliefs/practices from a demon.

You CANNOT make something ungodly into something Godly or "Christian" just because a professing Christian teaches it, or because a little bit of Bible/Christianity was thrown in. You don't make Dungeons and Dragons "Christian" by adding Christian words or characters - the same goes here: you don't make psychology Christian by adding a Christian or some aspect of Christianity to the mix.

Jerry,

I am curious where you draw this conclusion that psychology is unbiblical. Please explain, as psychology is no different than studying medicine or studying biology, physics, geology, or a number of other God-given and Creator-based studies. What it seems to me is that you lack understanding in the area of psychology, so you label it as ungodly. I think that is what I am seeing here and I think it is a huge mistake. Maybe you simply don't understand what psychology is, but please look at the definition in my previous post before you respond and please give me some sort of biblical basis for why you believe psychology is unbiblical as maybe one or both of us can grow in this area of understanding, as I am certainly willing to learn and grow where I lack understanding.

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

Jerry,

I am curious where you draw this conclusion that psychology is unbiblical. Please explain, as psychology is no different than studying medicine or studying biology, physics, geology, or a number of other God-given and Creator-based studies. What it seems to me is that you lack understanding in the area of psychology, so you label it as ungodly. I think that is what I am seeing here and I think it is a huge mistake. Maybe you simply don't understand what psychology is, but please look at the definition in my previous post before you respond and please give me some sort of biblical basis for why you believe psychology is unbiblical as maybe one or both of us can grow in this area of understanding, as I am certainly willing to learn and grow where I lack understanding.

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

:goodpost:

• Tools for the Ministry

Jerry,

Thanks and God Bless,

Futurehope

Bump....................hoping to get a response for some clarity from Jerry. That aside though, I would certainly like to hear what others think about DOBson according to the questions posed in the OP. God Bless.

• Advanced Member

I hope it's alright for me to comment on psycology topic that has been spoken of here. All psycology IS NOT the same. There are many different approaches not just non-christian and christian. That is over simplifying to the utmost. Psycology deals with how a person percieves and reacts to the world around them. As well as stating that how we relate to and react to one another is all intertwined. While this is very basic... I think we can see then how a "real, born-again Christian" Psycologist would treat their patient's differently. Pointing the way to... Not depending on yourself but on The Lord's Word ALL the time as THE ANSWER. Calling patient's to forgive as Christ forgave you. Doesn't matter what the other person ever does to try and make anything right or how they ever treat you. We are called to forgive and do as Christ has told US! Stressing that memorizing scripture is important especially verse's dealing with why patient is being seen. Alway's willing and bring up the need to pray with their patient's in closing of a session and over the phone. Stressing your relationship with the Lord as the true and lasting answer. While Christian psycologist do deal with trying to lead you to see what you may not be aware of in your life they do so pointing to The Lord as The Way, The Truth and The Life. If a psycologist call's themselves a "Christian Psycologist" and isn't dealing with a patient as such they aren't really a "Christian Psycologist" Plus, when they are a Christian Psycologist they will have no prOBlem if you ask them if they are Baptist, Their salvation testimony etc. Upset?? Then you need to personnally research if what I have said is true. I will not hide under a chair over what I have posted above. Abiding in Christ while He hold's on to me! His by Grace

• Advanced Member

Jerry 8#######, I read where you sent me. For me that is not what christian psycology is all about! Those are wordly ...Come on Schuller???...non-christian psycology posing as Christian psycology that I've been exposed to. The only part I didn't understand your being upset about was almost the last paragraph where it was said if a person is bitter about God basically having things be the way they are in their life then they need to forgive Him. My understanding of that comment is that they need to realize they are wrong not The Lord. You didn't seem to take that as such. What made you call that blaspheme? His by Grace

An article, Is "Christian Psychology"Christian?

http://www.outsidethecamp.org/xnpsych.htm

For most of them its all about self help, how good you are, how much you should think of your self.

• Tools for the Ministry

An article, Is "Christian Psychology"Christian?

http://www.outsidethecamp.org/xnpsych.htm

For most of them its all about self help, how good you are, how much you should think of your self.

This article is so perversed by an individual with personal agendas and hatred towards other christians he will conjure up any kind of disgusting commentary he can to tear them down. His understanding of psychology and the psychology presented in and by the bible is about as deep as OBama's understanding on how to rightly lead a nation and how to be a christian. But hey, we all have free speech for now, even if it is simply used to polute the air with phalical comments of extreme measures.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

Psychology is more about self help, feeling real good about ones self, self strength, your a great person, and face it Schuller has had a big impact on Christens accepting psychology. His little books have showed up in the mail box of many households, even many Baptist are very accepting of his teachings, and reads his books faithfully.

Now, there are a few, but very few, Christian Psychologist out there who totaly use the Bible and leave man's teachings out of it. Any time you mix mans Psychology teachings with the Bible you come up with less than God's truth.

http://www.ukapologetics.net/1hurting.htm

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/talebearing.html

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/exmyth63.html

When our Lord and Savior are not enough, them we lack faith.

I prOBably should not have posted the 1st one, but I was in bit of a hurry and did not look long enough, but as I said earlier, Schuller has had a big effect on the acceptance of Psychology by todays Christians.

• Advanced Member

I have a sister in law who has chemical imbalances in her brain and takes medications that replace the missing components. It's a huge difference when she is taking the medications from when she doesn't. I don't look at her seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist as being a lack of faith, but rather a medical necessity similar to the person who has any other medical ailment.

I have a sister in law who has chemical imbalances in her brain and takes medications that replace the missing components. It's a huge difference when she is taking the medications from when she doesn't. I don't look at her seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist as being a lack of faith, but rather a medical necessity similar to the person who has any other medical ailment.

I'm 62 going on 63 and I have such a sister, dealing with those who have chemical imbalances in their brain is completely different. That said, I'm not for sure that they have not done her more harm than good with the mind alerting medications they given her over the last 30 to 45 years.

I think father & mother could have handled it a bit differently and it would have been better in the long run, but them you do the best you know how at the time trouble comes your way.

But most people who seek out psychologist do not have a chemical imbalances in their brain.

I'm 62 going on 63 and I have such a sister, dealing with those who have chemical imbalances in their brain is completely different. That said, I'm not for sure that they have not done her more harm than good with the mind alerting medications they given her over the last 30 to 45 years.

I think father & mother could have handled it a bit differently and it would have been better in the long run, but them you do the best you know how at the time trouble comes your way.

But most people who seek out psychologist do not have a chemical imbalances in their brain.

I sure would agree with that. I believe that the majority of mental health issues in America are related to spiritual prOBlems. Medication may control those mental health issues to a point, but often times it is treating the symptoms and not the cause and sometimes that makes things even worse. There is a reason why larger and larger numbers of Americans are having mental health issues. Science itself has been finding out that some of the best things you can do to maintain mental health is to just be kind and do right while knowingly doing wrong has the reverse effect. There is a reason why so many people in the jails have or develop mental health issues, it is a common symptom of the choices they have made. That is what the bible teaches too:

"Proverbs 3:7-8 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones."

"Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh."

• Advanced Member

If you're gonna practice what you preach then you're gonna have to go both ways.

You CANNOT make something ungodly just because a professing atheist teaches it or because a little bit of sexual perversion is thrown into it.

Kind of like rejecting Christianity because of BOB Gray.

This analogy is ridiculous. You can reject a teaching if ungodliness or a "little bit" of sexual perversion was thrown into it. In fact, Christ warned of a little leaven that leavens the whole lump.

Seth, thanks for the post.

Many times its choices people have made, with my sister its things that happened years ago,that she had no control over. She stood across from our house when I was about 20 months old, holding me, crying as she watched our mother, sister, and brother burn to death in a house fire.

30 days later my older brother and I were put in an orphan home by our father, my sister when to live with a family. she was with them for about 6 months, we really don't know just what happened in that 6 months. But we do know that a concerned school teacher called the police to go check things out. Sometime after school was out that day the police visited that home, taking my sister with them. The next day she was placed in the same orphanage home my brother and I were in.

Wow, its so sad when bad things happen to children at a young age, some claim it has no effect, that they will grow out of it, that is a lie, for some of them its the straw that breaks the camels back, for my sister it was.

I want go into details on here, but I lived with a family for a few year who took me out of the home, another family adopted my sister, later that family had much trouble, I wind up with the family that ha my sister.

They treated us both wonderful, and prOBably gave her more than me, actually trying to help her as much as they could, which was and is still alright by me. I know they did the best they knew how and gave her much love, she in return broke their hearts so many times, I was heart broken so many times just seeing the pain she inflicted into them.

As stated, knowing what I know now, if I had the ability, and knew it them, I surely would have tried to do things differently. I really think some of the meds did her more harm that good that were given her, and the man and woman I called father and mother did the best they knew how, and I know it was done out of love and concern.

While serving in the Air Force I had trouble sleeping, my neck and head was hurting. One doctor who I saw asked me about my growing up years, my relationship with my family, when I mentioned I spent time in an orphan home he wanted me to see what I call a head shrink. I did not want to, he force me. Just a few years back I got all of my medical records, what he wrote about me does not fit me the least bit, he came to his conclusion in about 40 minutes of time spent with me. I say he was wrong because of what my supervisors wrote about me in my performance & evaluations charts during the time I served, they contradicted everything he said about me.

By the way, some 30 years after getting out of the Air Force I found out what cause my head and neck to hurt that kept me from sleeping, I had two birth defects in my head that is putting pressure on my brain stem.

21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
Psalms 44:21 (KJV)

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jer 17:9 (KJV)

That said, no one can know the heart of a human but God, many psychologist try, but they fall way to short. They will even testify that murders are no longer any danger, but yet many of them have been turned out because of their testimony and went back to doing evil, but lo and behold, the psychologist are not held accountable. Yet our law officials keep right on trusting these people who cannot know what is in the heart of man.

As for me, I think all of our answer are in the Bible, God knosws much more about us than a man who has been educated by man, after all we are God's handy work, not mans. We sure have a hard time trusting God with everything, yet many of us will trust in a puny man with a degree given by man.

8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
Psalms 118:8-9 (KJV)

• Advanced Member

For my sister in law there was no choice, they took a portion of her brain due to a glyoma (sp?) which I believe is a form of a cancer. As a part of that surgery to save her life, it altered brain chemistry and certain functions. The medications counteract those affects and she is much better for it.