• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Dr. James Dobson

• Members

http://www.ukapologetics.net/1hurting.htm

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/talebearing.html

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/exmyth63.html

When our Lord and Savior are not enough, them we lack faith.

I prOBably should not have posted the 1st one, but I was in bit of a hurry and did not look long enough, but as I said earlier, Schuller has had a big effect on the acceptance of Psychology by todays Christians.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I have a sister in law who has chemical imbalances in her brain and takes medications that replace the missing components. It's a huge difference when she is taking the medications from when she doesn't. I don't look at her seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist as being a lack of faith, but rather a medical necessity similar to the person who has any other medical ailment.

• Members

I have a sister in law who has chemical imbalances in her brain and takes medications that replace the missing components. It's a huge difference when she is taking the medications from when she doesn't. I don't look at her seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist as being a lack of faith, but rather a medical necessity similar to the person who has any other medical ailment.

I'm 62 going on 63 and I have such a sister, dealing with those who have chemical imbalances in their brain is completely different. That said, I'm not for sure that they have not done her more harm than good with the mind alerting medications they given her over the last 30 to 45 years.

I think father & mother could have handled it a bit differently and it would have been better in the long run, but them you do the best you know how at the time trouble comes your way.

But most people who seek out psychologist do not have a chemical imbalances in their brain.

• Members

I'm 62 going on 63 and I have such a sister, dealing with those who have chemical imbalances in their brain is completely different. That said, I'm not for sure that they have not done her more harm than good with the mind alerting medications they given her over the last 30 to 45 years.

I think father & mother could have handled it a bit differently and it would have been better in the long run, but them you do the best you know how at the time trouble comes your way.

But most people who seek out psychologist do not have a chemical imbalances in their brain.

I sure would agree with that. I believe that the majority of mental health issues in America are related to spiritual prOBlems. Medication may control those mental health issues to a point, but often times it is treating the symptoms and not the cause and sometimes that makes things even worse. There is a reason why larger and larger numbers of Americans are having mental health issues. Science itself has been finding out that some of the best things you can do to maintain mental health is to just be kind and do right while knowingly doing wrong has the reverse effect. There is a reason why so many people in the jails have or develop mental health issues, it is a common symptom of the choices they have made. That is what the bible teaches too:

"Proverbs 3:7-8 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones."

"Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh."

• Members

If you're gonna practice what you preach then you're gonna have to go both ways.

You CANNOT make something ungodly just because a professing atheist teaches it or because a little bit of sexual perversion is thrown into it.

Kind of like rejecting Christianity because of BOB Gray.

This analogy is ridiculous. You can reject a teaching if ungodliness or a "little bit" of sexual perversion was thrown into it. In fact, Christ warned of a little leaven that leavens the whole lump.

• Members

Seth, thanks for the post.

Many times its choices people have made, with my sister its things that happened years ago,that she had no control over. She stood across from our house when I was about 20 months old, holding me, crying as she watched our mother, sister, and brother burn to death in a house fire.

30 days later my older brother and I were put in an orphan home by our father, my sister when to live with a family. she was with them for about 6 months, we really don't know just what happened in that 6 months. But we do know that a concerned school teacher called the police to go check things out. Sometime after school was out that day the police visited that home, taking my sister with them. The next day she was placed in the same orphanage home my brother and I were in.

Wow, its so sad when bad things happen to children at a young age, some claim it has no effect, that they will grow out of it, that is a lie, for some of them its the straw that breaks the camels back, for my sister it was.

I want go into details on here, but I lived with a family for a few year who took me out of the home, another family adopted my sister, later that family had much trouble, I wind up with the family that ha my sister.

They treated us both wonderful, and prOBably gave her more than me, actually trying to help her as much as they could, which was and is still alright by me. I know they did the best they knew how and gave her much love, she in return broke their hearts so many times, I was heart broken so many times just seeing the pain she inflicted into them.

As stated, knowing what I know now, if I had the ability, and knew it them, I surely would have tried to do things differently. I really think some of the meds did her more harm that good that were given her, and the man and woman I called father and mother did the best they knew how, and I know it was done out of love and concern.

While serving in the Air Force I had trouble sleeping, my neck and head was hurting. One doctor who I saw asked me about my growing up years, my relationship with my family, when I mentioned I spent time in an orphan home he wanted me to see what I call a head shrink. I did not want to, he force me. Just a few years back I got all of my medical records, what he wrote about me does not fit me the least bit, he came to his conclusion in about 40 minutes of time spent with me. I say he was wrong because of what my supervisors wrote about me in my performance & evaluations charts during the time I served, they contradicted everything he said about me.

By the way, some 30 years after getting out of the Air Force I found out what cause my head and neck to hurt that kept me from sleeping, I had two birth defects in my head that is putting pressure on my brain stem.

21 Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
Psalms 44:21 (KJV)

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
Jer 17:9 (KJV)

That said, no one can know the heart of a human but God, many psychologist try, but they fall way to short. They will even testify that murders are no longer any danger, but yet many of them have been turned out because of their testimony and went back to doing evil, but lo and behold, the psychologist are not held accountable. Yet our law officials keep right on trusting these people who cannot know what is in the heart of man.

As for me, I think all of our answer are in the Bible, God knosws much more about us than a man who has been educated by man, after all we are God's handy work, not mans. We sure have a hard time trusting God with everything, yet many of us will trust in a puny man with a degree given by man.

8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.
Psalms 118:8-9 (KJV)

• Members

For my sister in law there was no choice, they took a portion of her brain due to a glyoma (sp?) which I believe is a form of a cancer. As a part of that surgery to save her life, it altered brain chemistry and certain functions. The medications counteract those affects and she is much better for it.

• Members

How could Schuller have any impact on "real, Christian that is made righteous in God's eye's only because covered by the Blood of Christ" when Schuller wasn't even a Christian from anything I ever heard him say. Isn't this the man that "teaches" from the Crystal Cathedral?? If so, then anyone following him is in need of a "real" salvation experience or have been mislead if saved and NEED to read their Bible!! :icon_pray: His by Grace

Psychology is more about self help, feeling real good about ones self, self strength, your a great person, and face it Schuller has had a big impact on Christens accepting psychology. His little books have showed up in the mail box of many households, even many Baptist are very accepting of his teachings, and reads his books faithfully.

Now, there are a few, but very few, Christian Psychologist out there who totaly use the Bible and leave man's teachings out of it. Any time you mix mans Psychology teachings with the Bible you come up with less than God's truth.

• Members

This analogy is ridiculous. You can reject a teaching if ungodliness or a "little bit" of sexual perversion was thrown into it. In fact, Christ warned of a little leaven that leavens the whole lump.

Kevin was simply stating that you can't reject a teaching based on the person teaching it. You have to debunk teachings based on Biblical principles. I agree with Kevin. If I rejected teachings just because atheists were teaching them there are things inherently true that I would have to reject. There are atheists who teach that abortion is wrong. If we went by some peoples standards on this board that means we would have to reject this teaching because an atheist taught it. We don't reject teachings based on who teaches them but rather on what the Bible teaches. So, no Kevin's analogy is not ridiculous.

• Members

When the cripple was lowered down thru the roof to have Jesus see him. It say's there in scripture the man was healed by the Faith OF his Friend's. So, Paul wasn't healed for lack of faith? We know this wasn't the case because the Lord Jesus told us so! Sometimes 100% of depending on Christ involves our doing what He tell's us to do! Can you see that? Taking medication's just to be able to walk, swallow and write. Some christian's would say having to do so is a lack of faith in Christ being our all sufficient one. I see in taking these medication's that a Christian is trusting the Lord to work thru medicine to help His children. He gave man the knowledge!! Would you not go to the ER if you thought you were having a cardiac arrest?? If you would ,then by your diffinition your lacking in faith in the Lord?! If you don't agree then please explain. :icon_pray:In Christ. His by Grace

http://www.ukapologetics.net/1hurting.htm

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/talebearing.html

http://www.psychoheresy-aware.org/exmyth63.html

When our Lord and Savior are not enough, them we lack faith.

I prOBably should not have posted the 1st one, but I was in bit of a hurry and did not look long enough, but as I said earlier, Schuller has had a big effect on the acceptance of Psychology by todays Christians.

• Members

:amen::amen::amen: I agree 100%!! I do think most are spiritual issues or shall I dare even suggest...let's just say in need of salvation. BUT a true Christian Psycologist is a different ballgame altogether! That is why Christian Colleges shouldn't be shying away from true Christian Psycology but embrassing teaching correct Christian Psycology so as to fill that need. This is just my opinion I realize but please understand the diffinition I gave about a real Christian Psycologist!:icon_pray: In Christ, His by Grace

I sure would agree with that. I believe that the majority of mental health issues in America are related to spiritual prOBlems. Medication may control those mental health issues to a point, but often times it is treating the symptoms and not the cause and sometimes that makes things even worse. There is a reason why larger and larger numbers of Americans are having mental health issues. Science itself has been finding out that some of the best things you can do to maintain mental health is to just be kind and do right while knowingly doing wrong has the reverse effect. There is a reason why so many people in the jails have or develop mental health issues, it is a common symptom of the choices they have made. That is what the bible teaches too:

"Proverbs 3:7-8 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones."

"Proverbs 11:17 The merciful man doeth good to his own soul: but he that is cruel troubleth his own flesh."