• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thanksgiving Dinner Menu

trc123

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

We do have a harvest thanksgiving at our church which is what I suppose Thanksgiving started out as?

That is what the pilgrims did in what is typically called the first Thanksgiving here in America (harvest festivals and celebrations took place in many areas of the world then).

The first actual proclamation of it as a holiday was a day of praise and thanksgiving proclaimed by congress in 1777, after the victory at Saratoga. It was actually in December, so no harvest was involved.

For our dinner - I spent the day in WA with my grandma (100 years old now!...and she looooves turkey!), my parents, my sister and her kids, and my older brother. We had turkey, ham, mashed white and sweet taters (and gravy), homemade dressing, cranberry sauce and chutney, homemade rolls, homegrown green beans, and of course - pumpkin pie! Nummy!

I missed being with my guys, but our son was able to get home for the holiday and was able to spend it with my hubby...and I was able to see him Sat evening and most of Sunday before he had to head back.

Other than missing my guys and my knee giving out, my Thanksgiving was good!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Some of the unmarried ladies from church are getting together for Thanksgiving dinner this year, and I am truly looking forward to it. Instead of traditional turkey, we will be having honey-glazed Cornish Game Hens with cornbread sausage stuffing. I have a wonderful recipe for this, and I love serving this on Thanksgiving because the hens are so small that everyone gets their own individual bird (which means no one has to fight over the drumsticks because everyone gets two!). I will also be bringing pumpkin cheesecake and some fresh home-made cranberry relish (none of that canned stuff for us!). I think there are a couple of different sweet potato dishes coming from other ladies, and my friend Rebeccah is bringing her to-die-for mashed potatoes with garlic. There are several other dishes coming, of course, but I'm not sure what all will appear. I'm truly looking forward to it. It should be a wonderful time of fellowship with these godly ladies! :grouphug:

There is also a Thanksgiving fellowship dinner planned at church, and I will make my wonderful pumpkin bundt cake to take to that. Then the office has a catered Thanksgiving dinner too. :hungry::th_eatingcookies::hungry:

I'll be fasting for the first two weeks of December just to recover!

Do you know the feast that I am MOST looking forward too, though? This one:

"Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of the saints. And he saith unto me, "Write, 'Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb.'" (Rev. 19:7-9)

Edited by Miss Linda

• Administrators

That sounds wonderful, MissLinda!!

Our Thanksgiving Day starts with breakfast at church, cooked, served and cleaned up by the young married men of our church. It's always delicious and well attended. Then, on to the auditorium for a time of testimonies. It's a tradtion that goes back to the beginning years of our church, and it never fails to be a blessing.

And then we gather with friends. We have hosted a large group for several years (last year I was in WA, so didn't - and we all missed it!). This year we will again. At this time, there are about 30 coming, with several more yet to let us know. I divvy up the food between the ladies, but we always have turkey and ham, dressing (this year two kinds), mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, corn, bread and butter, cranberry, relish items, etc.

Dessert is plenteous, this year with several different kinds of breads coming with friends from OH coming in.

We also fix sloppy joes for later in the evening, along with other snacky stuff. We fellowhip, play board games and group games. In the past we've gone til midnight, but we had to move our meeting place, so will prOBably end the day about 10 p.m.

My hubby usually talks a bit about the reason for Thanksgiving, as well.

All in all, we have a fabulous day. And it's such a wonderful kick off for the holiday season.

• Members

That sounds wonderful, MissLinda!!

Our Thanksgiving Day starts with breakfast at church, cooked, served and cleaned up by the young married men of our church. It's always delicious and well attended. Then, on to the auditorium for a time of testimonies. It's a tradtion that goes back to the beginning years of our church, and it never fails to be a blessing.

And then we gather with friends. We have hosted a large group for several years (last year I was in WA, so didn't - and we all missed it!). This year we will again. At this time, there are about 30 coming, with several more yet to let us know. I divvy up the food between the ladies, but we always have turkey and ham, dressing (this year two kinds), mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, corn, bread and butter, cranberry, relish items, etc.

Dessert is plenteous, this year with several different kinds of breads coming with friends from OH coming in.

We also fix sloppy joes for later in the evening, along with other snacky stuff. We fellowhip, play board games and group games. In the past we've gone til midnight, but we had to move our meeting place, so will prOBably end the day about 10 p.m.

My hubby usually talks a bit about the reason for Thanksgiving, as well.

All in all, we have a fabulous day. And it's such a wonderful kick off for the holiday season.

LuAnne, that sounds WONDERFUL!! I want to come! :icon_mrgreen:

Our gathering won't be that large, but we will have 7 or 8 ladies. It's plenty for a wonderful time. We are all going to gather at the parents' home of one of the ladies. A few of us are going to go over on Wednesday to decorate the table and rooms, and deliver any food that can be prepared early. Then we'll get together on Thanksgiving for dinner and games. I know we will be playing charades (which had us breathless with laughter the previous time we did this) and board games and other activities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The closest any of our family lives to us is 900 miles away. Sometimes we get invited to Thanksgiving dinner by one of our church's members...but not always. I usually buy 2 Rock Cornish game hens, Stove top stuffing mix, the fixings for a green bean casserole and a Mrs. Smiths Pumpkin or Apple pie for dessert and we enjoy our own Thanksgiving dinner all by ourselves!

BTW, this thread is making me hungry!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I LOVE Thanksgiving!!!!! :-D It's just the 7 of us which is a lot of fun. We really enjoy our day of hanging out all day with each other, just us. :-) We cook all day before and all day the day of. Lots of yummy food! Turkey, home-made stuffing, mashed potatoes and home-made gravy, baked mac 'n cheese, green bean casserole, broccoli and cheese soup, baked yams, cranberry sauce, and dinner rolls....I feel like I forgot something though! lol! Anywho, then we have pumpkin pie, apple pie, cherry pie, and pumpkin roll. Oh, and cinnamon roasted almonds to munch on. :-) I think that's it. :-P