• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Ephesians 4:30 "... grieve not the holy Spirit of God..."

• Members

Ephesians 4:30 And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

What is your thought on, "grieve not the holy Spirit of God."

I did not want to put this in the other section, seems here latey we've been getting several of those who believe we can lose our salvation.

I probably will not be able to get back here till after church tomorrow evening, but I would appreciate you thoughts on this.

• Members

The Lord has brought this to my attention much in the past month or so.

We grieve the Holy Spirit any time we sin but I think this speaks more specifically to when we knowingly sin or allow ourselves to be a slave to some sin. Also, we grieve the Holy Spirit when He tries to warn us or direct us but we fail to pay Him heed.

Sorry so brief but I must now get ready for church.

• Members

Well, as one who has been accused of being too "legalistic" let's take a look at the context of that verse. The difference between what I believe and what some others believe, is that I believe the Word is speaking to ALL Christians past, present, and future, and there are others who think that this is just something that referred to those particular people who lived in Ephesas at that particular time in history. Either the Holy Bible is the living breathing Word of God, or it is just a dusty old history book, it just depends on your point of view. Either you love the Lord and you want to do what is pleasing to Him, or you don't love the Lord, and you do what pleases yourself or the world. That is what it means to grieve the Holy Spirit. It is as simple as that.

Ephesians 4 (I added the emphasis on parts I think are especially important to this issue)
21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:
22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth

• Members

John's statement made me think of this, but here is his statement.

<<"We grieve the Holy Spirit any time we sin but I think this speaks more specifically to when we knowingly sin ">>

John mentioned knowingly sin, what about ignorance of sin? There be those Christians who have been saved for some time, who may be ignorant about some sins, most likely because they made no efforts to study the Bible where they would know what God expects of them. So being ignorant of sin they feel they are in good standings with God.

Suzy, I like your answer, for your thinking about Bible things such as this one is much like I do, saying what it is with only a few words, but I understand some need it laid out and broken down, dissected.

Janet, The way I see it, the closer we walk to God, the more people that may call us legalist, along with the more we stand up and or stand against, the more often that legalist word will come up, sometimes it the only word they really know to attack with.

One person put it something like this if I can state it right, if we are grieving the Holy Spirit, them our Holy Spirit has to minister to us, so it becomes about us, When it becomes about us, them the Holy Spirit within us can't help us minister to others, for its busy working on us, so we can't be about our Father's business.

• Members
There be those Christians who have been saved for some time' date=' who may be ignorant about some sins, [b']most likely because they made no efforts to study the Bible where they would know what God expects of them. So being ignorant of sin they feel they are in good standings with God.

Wouldn't this also be sin and therefore grieve the Holy Spirit? I under some people are not discipled and therefore whoever dropped the ball so to speak in not discipling them would also be at fault, but we are commanded to study to show ourselves approved. Does ignorance of a command "excuse" someone from the sin?

• Members

I know that many love to place blame on someone for that gives them an excuse of why they did or did not do something. That avoids taking personal responsibility for self.

As for me, in my past, I never blamed anyone for my failures during times I dropped out of church or just did not attend as I should.

The church was there, its members were in their place each day that service was held, it was I who was out of place.

I don't go for the blame game, but I know many who do.

• Members

I think there is a sort of "religious peer pressure" that occurs too, Bro. Jerry. For example suppose some of the women at church have decided that it ought to be perfectly A-Okay for women to wear pants, and start wearing pantsuits to Sunday Services. They go to the beauty parlor and get themselves a trendy new short hair cut and a trip to the mall for a whole new wardrobe.Well, since no bolts of lightening fall from the sky and the ground did not open them up and swallow them whole for their actions, they think that God says it is A-Okay too and has given them the divine "green light" to continue in their actions. They are quite pleased with themselves and their progressive new ways.

Then along comes Sister Troublemaker, who has decided that the Holy Spirit wants her to continue wearing her modest dresses and continue to let her hair grow long. The women of the church do everything that they possibly can to turn their stubborn Sister around, but she will not budge. They call her "holier than thou", "hypocrite" and everything else, and they start excluding her from all of their parties and extra-curricular activities. The message they send is loud and clear - either conform and be like us, or you can't be seen with us. Now, I ask you is that fair? Is that the sort of Christian attitude a Christ Following Christian Woman ought to have? What ought to be done (if anything) in this type of situation?

• Members
I think there is a sort of "religious peer pressure" that occurs too, Bro. Jerry. For example suppose some of the women at church have decided that it ought to be perfectly A-Okay for women to wear pants, and start wearing pantsuits to Sunday Services. They go to the beauty parlor and get themselves a trendy new short hair cut and a trip to the mall for a whole new wardrobe.Well, since no bolts of lightening fall from the sky and the ground did not open them up and swallow them whole for their actions, they think that God says it is A-Okay too and has given them the divine "green light" to continue in their actions. They are quite pleased with themselves and their progressive new ways.

Then along comes Sister Troublemaker, who has decided that the Holy Spirit wants her to continue wearing her modest dresses and continue to let her hair grow long. The women of the church do everything that they possibly can to turn their stubborn Sister around, but she will not budge. They call her "holier than thou", "hypocrite" and everything else, and they start excluding her from all of their parties and extra-curricular activities. The message they send is loud and clear - either conform and be like us, or you can't be seen with us. Now, I ask you is that fair? Is that the sort of Christian attitude a Christ Following Christian Woman ought to have? What ought to be done (if anything) in this type of situation?

The old saying, "misery loves company" comes to mind because it's a fact that sinners love company too.

In such a case it's obvious that group of women have turned their eyes from Christ to self. Rather than conforming to the will of God they are seeking to have their will be accepted by others. Little wonder then when they are confronted with one who is seeking to live according to the Word they feel convicted. Rather than accept the conviction, repent and draw nigh to Christ they become angry, bitter and wrathful. How can the love of Christ flow from them when their hearts are so filled with rebellion?

In such a situation one would hope the pastor might see what is going on and take action. One would hope that some of these women might have godly husbands who would set their wives straight. If there were older women in the church walking with God they should confront such a group of women.

Whether anyone is able to or bothers to confront the rebellious women, the woman seeking to obey the Word should continue on that course and be content with separation from those rebellious women. Better to walk alone in Death Valley abiding in the will of God than in a rose garden defiled by the company of rebellious sinners.

• Members

No it isn't fair, and its not acting Christ like.

I know many of my personal standards different than many others, but I know hold them to my personal standard. I think many on this board thinks I do, but they're wrong.

We are all on our Christians walk, some may be walking closer to God than others, I use the word may for I do not judge such things, I leave that to our Savior.

In any given local church you have many members, each one will have their strong and weak points, more than likely each one will have difference difficulties, different troubles, different strengths, different weakness, together we can help one another, but if we start leaving some out, its just going to weaken that church, we are to help one another.

But remember, Jesus was not popular, therefore many times He was left out, even His own people rejected Him.

• Members

At my church, and the one I came from, and many I've preached in - we'd point you out and call you a good example for the ladies to emulate and learn from. Then I'd be praying about God convicting you to take a Sunday class of teen girls - Lord knows they need an example. Those who couldn't seem to get straightened out on this would be encouraged to revisit the Bible. Yes....that makes some mad, it always has....ask John the Baptist....

• Members

The OP verse teaches #1. With all that is within us we are to strive to live Christ-like, living sacrifices, dead to self, risen with Christ. (By so doing we shall not grieve the Holy Spirit) [However we know Paul, who penned this under inspiration of God, said flatly he himself routinely grieved the Holy Spirit by simple virtue of knowing what to do, but failing to do that....by his doing exactly the opposite of what he required of others] We are not sinless and as such there is without question at all times some degree of grieving of the Holy Spirit.....and some degree of walking in the Spirit....and some degree of pleasing God especially since we are seen through the veil of Christ's blood by our wonderful father.

#2 It says we are sealed by the Holy Ghost - not our selves, not how well we walk, not how sinless we live, not how little grief we bring to the Holy Ghost, but by the very Holy Spirit of God within us we are "sealed" unto the day of redemption. So emphatic is this sealing Paul put it here in Ephesians twice here in our text and previously in Ch 1 vs 13. It says the saved born again washed in the blood believer cannot be lost....for of all the things "unsealed" in scripture, the soul of a saint is never....ever....not once..."unsealed".

It is an allegory as well - I am a father, I tell my son "don't do that....it will have bad consequences for you and will ruin the fruit of your garden and leave you eating weeds....". But he doesn't listen and so brings himself into transgression (the way of the transgressor is hard) and more, puts enmity or distance between he and I for, although I love him and he's my son forever, I cannot abide, support or embrace and bless and approve his actions..... he has grieved my heart for him..... "Grieve not the Holy Spirit of God..." for he deserves better than that.....he deserves our love and obedience..... Not because he'll hit us with a hammer if we disobey, but because in his great love he loved us and we ought be in selfless committment to love him back....he is so deserving of it!

I want my son to obey not simply because he'll suffer, nor because I'll punish him for refusing, but rather.....I want my son to obey because he loves and respects and honors me as his father! This should be our relationship with God. I fear God.... I love God....I want to honor God as my loving father. This honor he deserves. Isaiah 1:3 "I have nourished and brought up children and they have rebelled against me" (this is grieving the Holy Spirit). To me.

• 2 weeks later...