• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

501c3 churches

• Members

I believe that my church is a "501c3" church, and this article I found on the internet makes me wonder if I should leave my church solely because of this. The sermons are biblical and the Pastor is a very godly man. Most churches that aren't 501c3 are IFB churches and there aren't too many of those where I live, or perhaps none.

There are many, many reasons why no true Christian church should become a "501c3 tax-exempt religious organization." If the average pastor, deacon board, or professing Christian knew these reasons, those who love Jesus (opposed to those who merely practice religion, or a profession) would likely "tear their rOBes" and RUN NOT WALK out of such institutions.

However, the revelation of these facts is usually a slow process. This page is not exhaustive, but covers the main points in brief, and contains many links you may use to study the issue more thoroughly. Even a "partial revelation" of the information here should be enough to make the case why no true Christian should attend a 501c3 "church," and especially why they might never want to give money to one again. Acting on this information is, of course, a different matter. May God grant you grace to wrestle with and rightly act upon this information in His time.

In overview, these reasons can be listed under these headings:

1) 501c3 "churches" attempt to serve two masters, but their true and legal head (or "lord") is the State, not Jesus Christ

2) 501c3 "churches" sign a waiver to forfeit their 1st Amendment Freedom of Speech rights, and therefore are legally and honor-bound (by their oath) to NOT teach or preach the entire Word of God

3) Money given to all 501c3's (with paid employees) funds abortions and all manner of ungodliness, and may be an unclean offering before God

Are you willing to examine these claims? Read on...

1) 501c3 "churches" attempt to serve two masters, but their true and legal head (or "lord") is the State, not Jesus Christ:

It may surprise many to know that there is no such thing as a "501c3 church." TITLE 26 section 501©(3) of the IRS code (below) does not even mention churches. There are only "501c3 tax-exempt religious organizations" and they are ALL - by legal definition - "corporations," NOT churches. True churches are outside the scope of the law in this regard, because of the 1st Amendment and section 508c of the IRS code (see below). Legally, ALL corporations are creations of the State, and can exist solely by the State's permission. Their right to exist and practice charitable cause(s) - including religion - derives solely from the State granting the applying "charitable organization" the requested permission and requested legal authority to function.

Conversely, the true church is called into existence by Jesus Christ, who is its sole head (Col 1:18) and Sovereign. The church is mandated by God to meet, worship, preach, teach, evangelize, and to collect and distribute funds to the needy, etc, regardless of whether earthly authorities want or permit the church to function or exist. But by incorporating as a 501c3, a group of leaders asks the State's permission to exist, binds themselves by an oath, and effectively renounces Christ as its head...

The following quotes come from a multi-page article Woe To State Churches:

"A corporation is a creature of the state... Its rights to act as a corporation are only preserved to it so long as it OBeys the laws of its creation..." (Hale v. Henkel, 201 U.S. 43)

"[A corporation is] an artificial person or legal entity created by or under the authority of the laws of a state."
Black's Law Dictionary West Publishing Company, 1991; 6th Edition, page 340

"A corporation derives its existence and all of its powers from the State and, therefore, has only such powers as the State has conferred upon it. ... the source of this power is the charter and the statute under which the corporation was organized." Len Young Smith and G. Gale ROBerson, Smith and ROBerson's Business Law, West Publishing Company, 1966, page 796

"A corporation derives its existence and all of its power from the State!" The church on the other hand was created by and is the body of Christ. We belong to Him and we are subject to Him and His Laws. The source of any church's power is supposed to be the Holy Spirit; it's authority to function solely from God... Why would you bring in a "fictitious entity" no less created by the state and man i.e.: corporation, to run and regulate something that belongs to the Lord? To become a corporation in effect divorces the church from Christ. We also commit idolatry by putting something before Him."

Read much more relating to the legal definition of a corporation, versus the nature of a true Christian church operating with Christ as its Sovereign at this multi-page article Woe To State Churches:

The "church" (ecclesia, meaning "assembly" or "called-out ones") as defined by scripture is called out of both the world's political and religious systems. By incorporating, Christian leaders turn their backs on Jesus' headship of His Bride, and wander right back into the religious system of the world. Is "adultery" or "harlotry" too strong a term to describe the church that does this? PrOBably not.

While of course not intending anything wrong, most churches today usually apply for 501c3 due to ignorance (or, "lack of knowledge" - Hosea 4:6) . "They think they have to," or a lawyer recommended that they do so, but most lawyers simply don't understand that churches are (or that anything could be) outside the scope of the law. Most also think they need to become 501c3 in order to be "tax exempt" (love of money), but in fact (!) churches in the United States of America are already tax-exempt, and donations to churches are tax-deductible already, without ever becoming a 501c3!

Should a Christian leave a 501c3 church?

Love,
Madeline

• Members

My Humble Opinion Only: As for me, I would not. I would not consider being a pastor of a church that was. But I believe you will find many IFB Churches that are.

Seems it has gotten to be the popular thing, and many ate tying their self to the government in this manner, rightly turning their church into a business.

• Moderators

Here we go again, I'm sure I've covered this before --- however:

A church DOES NOT have to file 501c3 paperwork in order to be tax exempt or for the contributions to be tax deductible , for they are automatically considered to be exempt --- by the IRS's own tax code and web site.

I recently had IRS send a letter to that effect to the head of our state food bank where we get many supplies for our food pantry (They wanted an IRS determination letter -- IRS told them they don't issue determination letters to churches who don't file with them [and send them $300] since they are already automatically exempt. PrOBlem resolved and another misinformed state employee became educated).

The subject of organization into a corporation requires approval by the state in which the church is located and is the subject of an entirely different thread.

I'm not taking the time to deal w/ pros and cons of incorporation.

• Members

I first became concerned after I heard a sermon where the speaker questioned whether anyone who would attend a 501c3 church were even saved, so I did some research. Btw, here are his sermons on 501c3 churches.

501c3churches

It does appear as if the speaker takes the issue of holiness beyond the biblical norm. Sometimes we can take the "separation" issue too far and separate ourselves from the body of Christ and actually stunt our spiritual growth rather than become "more" holy. Thanks for the replies, and welcome back, Kevin!:icon_biggrin:

Love,
Madeline

• Members

I would only be concern if they submit to the gov't way.

most churches are automatically label as church under tax ...because they are churches and not businesses. They need parking lot, be open to the public, permission to make noises (music) that would deem as public nuisance, etc. ( finding a parking spot for home-based church would cause alot of trouble with the neighbors and cops)

Unless the church endorse certain candidates (the gov't would think it is a paid campaign, not a church) or making profits off of people would prOBably cause them to lose their church label. I don't know if 501c3 is another word for "church" or not. but I do know that most churches need the church label so they won't be treated as business and be heavily taxed or fined.

• Members

I first became concerned after I heard a sermon where the speaker questioned whether anyone who would attend a 501c3 church were even saved, so I did some research. Btw, here are his sermons on 501c3 churches.

501c3churches

It does appear as if the speaker takes the issue of holiness beyond the biblical norm. Sometimes we can take the "separation" issue too far and separate ourselves from the body of Christ and actually stunt our spiritual growth rather than become "more" holy. Thanks for the replies, and welcome back, Kevin!:icon_biggrin:

Love,
Madeline

Madeline, Questioning Salvation because they're a 501c3 church, that is a bit of a stretch.

But its true, many saved people are deceived, and the fruit of some Christians is not the fruit of a saved person.

There's a SBC Church in a small town south of here that has been a 501c3 church for many years, I know a few of their members who are good Christians, except they are just a bit liberal.

The one thing we all need to do, I feel sure most of us do, that is to pray for our mislead brothers and sisters in Christ, for many of them that is about our only option.

• Members

Our church was already incorporated when we got here. It is indeed a safety net...otherwise if something were to happen, it would destroy the pastor and the members....rather than taking the church as a whole unit.

We aren't liberal either. :-) Nor misled. :-) :-)

• Moderators

Our church was already incorporated when we got here. It is indeed a safety net...otherwise if something were to happen, it would destroy the pastor and the members....rather than taking the church as a whole unit.

We aren't liberal either. :-) Nor misled. :-) :-)

Incorporated and tax exempt are 2 different subjects.

A church can be incorp and not file 501 and still be exempt.
They can not incorp and not file 501 and be exempt.
They can incorp and file 501 and be exempt.
The only thing they can't do is file 501 w/o incorp, though they are still exempt.