• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Cancer Guidelines Say to Start Mammograms at 50, Not 40

• Members

New Cancer Guidelines Say to Start Mammograms at 50, Not 40

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,575354,00.html

My mother died of this cancer at 57. She was diagnose of cancer when she was 54 years old, but she showed severe signs of it long before she went to the doctor (she was in denial and kept brushing it off as cyst or something) I am surprised that the "gov't" think women should have mammograms in their 50's! If my mother started checking for cancer in her forty, she prOBably would have been alive today.

Personally, I think every women should check for any type of cancer especially before they get pregnant so they don't have to put off chemo because they don't want to go to an abortion route.

• Members

anyway, I reread the article and I think if they picked the age 45 (or at least 5 years before menopause, whenever that is) then I would think that would be a safe age to start checking if you don't want to spend so much time, money, energy on mammograms.

I do agree with the self exam though. Sometimes it is best to leave it to the doctor to check. These self exam can either make you paranoid over little things or if you have a lump, you more likely to miss it, so you assume you are fine and don't need to go to a doctor for a check up.

But I still think women need a check up no matter what because of the abortion issues. I keep hearing so many how mothers put off cancer treatments because she is pregnant (and some of them died result of it) or feel they have no choice to have an abortion because they have other children. It get really complicated that you have to choose between the two.

• Members

Isn't this a way to cut health care cost, and a way to ration health care, and a way to cut health care cost.

Those who are far this, do you really think they have any concern for us? No, they have none, our law makers who wants to do all of this has the best health care money can buy and it will not have no effect on them.

• Members

yes, they will keep looking for ways to cut back and will tell people it is unnecessary. That's the whole purpose of the gov't takeover. They think hospitals are ripping off medicaid and medicare (and insurance) because of over diagnoses and unnecessary tests (which is prOBably true).. so they want to step in and take control so people can afford healthcare. There is no way they are going to put on a blindfold and say "yes, we will cover this and that and it doesn't matter how wasteful we think it is" Nope, they are going to tell people no (or tell doctors "no"). And I feel it isn't no difference than insurance rejecting co-exist medical issue. Or refuse to cover certain things.

• Members

The only way to get our law makers to deal fairly with the citizens is to make the law makers join up with the same health care coverages that its citizens have.

Our law makers will never let that happen, for they know they have a good thing and will stick together to keep it. Corruption!

• Members

One of my local cancer hospital center was being sued by the gov't because they believe the center was overcharging medicaid. My mom was on medicaid, but I don't think they are really like that. They really try to help my mother. her doctor even cried when she died (the person who ran the place).