• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Heaven before Christ?

leeone

• Members

Whether they thought of the afterlife as a place called "Heaven" or not, I am not sure - but there are various passages that teach OT believers knew they would be resurrected and dwelling in the presence of the Lord at that time. JOB 19:25-17 is a prime example. David knew he was going to where his child went. Daniel 12:3 speaks about the resurrection. They did not have as much light as those after the resurrection of Christ, and after the NT was written, but they weren't completely without knowledge on this.

2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

• Members

Whether they thought of the afterlife as a place called "Heaven" or not, I am not sure - but there are various passages that teach OT believers knew they would be resurrected and dwelling in the presence of the Lord at that time. JOB 19:25-17 is a prime example. David knew he was going to where his child went. Daniel 12:3 speaks about the resurrection. They did not have as much light as those after the resurrection of Christ, and after the NT was written, but they weren't completely without knowledge on this.

2 Timothy 1:10 But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

Although I don't think that the bolded portion is a good example, I do agree overall that, even prior to Christ, there was a "Heaven" or "Paradise" or some other physical connection with God in the after life. Beginning with Abraham, we see that this connection comes with following the law. I think it is safe to assume that even pre Abraham, God brought those who OBeyed his call into his care (I'm thinking Noah here). I guess another good question would be how gentiles OBtained this after life connection prior to Christ or the law.

• 7 months later...