This message still applies today, by Pastor Dr. Hans Nikoley
Pastor Many people have asked for a copy of the outline or the sermon tape of the message preached here at PRBC on February 23, 1997, entitled Seven Things Wrecking America. II Cron. 36:11-16, Prov. 14:34 Illus: What God loves & hates Prov. 6:16-19. God promotes a nation, man, church; and He puts it down when He is displeased with it. It is usually wrong living by the Christian that degrades a nation to the point of decay. Story: Zedekiah is Judahs last King before the captivity vs. 11-14.
Nebuchadnezzar this time does not knock, but pushes over the wall of Jerusalem & destroys the city and takes Judah into captivity. All in God providence. God had a two-fold purpose for Judah. They rejected the Prophets, and were living on borrowed time. It makes we wonder if we are living on borrowed time here in America. How much longer will God put up with our sin? For the nation of Judah, their time had come. There is a time when a nation reached that point. I wonder how close our nation is?
For 490 years Israel had not observed the sabbatical years as commanded in Lev. 25:1-5. The land was to rest every 7 years. They did not because of their greed. So God took them for 70 years to let the land rest. 490 divided by 7 is 70. Time stops when you are out of the will of God. Nothing much is said about the 70 years under Babylon.
SEVEN THINGS ARE WRECKING AMERICA IN THE 90 s.
1. POLITICS WITHOUT PRINCIPLES. We have always had impure men in politics. There never has been a time when politicians were perfect but we are to work toward that end. We dont expect politicians to be any more perfect than any of the rest of us. However, I believe right living promotes a nation to great-ness.
The U.S. is great, because it was good in the past. A few years ago the Gallup Poll indicated we had 75 million people who claimed to be born-again Christians. Politicians are using the terms to get elected. These days they appeal to the far-right. Yet they criticize them. Mr. Clinton carries his Bible around every Sunday, yet fails to obey its principles regarding homosexuality, abortion, etc. What really concerns me is that Washington consumes more liquor per capita, than any other city.
What we need in America today is some Nathans who will point their finger in the king face and say, Thou art the man. I am not saying that some of us preachers dont need the same. We need some John the Baptist who, at the risk of their own neck will accuse the king if he is immoral. We need some men of God who will not compromise and are not interested in popularity, but who are interested in pleasing God, honoring Christ, and winning their cities at any price for the Lord.
2. PLEASURE WITHOUT CONVICTION We licensed liquor during the Roosevelt Administration and have been pickled in alcohol ever since. Laziness is a major problem in America. More days off, more holidays, shorter work week, etc. are all a part of a crumbling society. Hollywood and TV are doing a very good job at having us accept the abnormal for normal, the perverted as good, etc. Right now, over 70% of TV programs, prime time, use profanity and sex. If you watch and listen to something long enough you will become brainwashed yourself. Some people even stay home on Sunday morning to see TV evangelists, etc. Lester Roloff called the networks the sewer lines of ABC, NBC and CBS, piped right into our homes. Listen: Dope, liquor, cigarettes, rock music, pornography, dirty movies all come from the same cesspool, HELL.
3. KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT CHARACTER. A. You cannot have knowledge without discipline. B. The humanistic religion is taught in our schools. C. Communism is no longer bad, just another way. Dr. Bob Jones Sr. Used to say, You can hire brains but you can buy character. Character is that something built into a man by the Holy Ghost through faithfulness to the Word of God, and obeying its commands. A great preacher used to say, Mushrooms spring up overnight but oak trees require a life time. A nation without character goes into captivity by default. As we increase in knowledge we must increase in character.
Did you hear about the latest study: They just found out that Phonics are beneficial for a childs reading. Wow! Someone said, When you educate unregenerate men you just teach them how to sin better, that all. Education without sanctification is abomination. Education is not enough.What is wrecking America? Today we have educators who believe murder (abortion) is OK, that homosexuality is a lifestyle and a matter of choice, etc. Listen, according to Romans chapter one; depravity leads to a reprobate mind. We see in Chronicles as well as entire OT that there was a general decline in Israel & Judah. However, there were about five periods of Revival, Renewal & Reformation:
A. Under Asa: Return and obedience to The Word of God.
B. Under Jehosophat: Return & obedience to …. C. Under Joash: Return & obedience to …… D. Under Hezekiah: Return & obedience …… E. Under Josiah: Return & obedience to …… In each instance Return & obedience to The Word of God. Which always led to repentance of the people & at least a temporary Renewal and Reformation of the nation. GLORY TO GOD! We will have to look at the other Four another time:
1. BUSINESS WITHOUT ETHICS.
2. SCIENCE WITHOUT GOD.
3. CHURCHES WITHOUT EVANGELISM.
4. WORSHIP WITHOUT SACRIFICE.
By Dr. Hans Nikoley