G. Schneck Mar 28, 2010 - Montelores
- John 12:12-13,18,19 - Isaiah 53:1-6
1. Read John 12:12-13, 18-19
2. It is one week before Easter… what some call Palm Sunday.
3. It is a Friday… The weekend is here!
4. It appears to be a wonderful day because Christ is….
I - Accepted
A. People Prepare for Him!
1. Read 12:12-13
2. Much People! - "that were come to the feast" (12a)
a. People had come to OBserve a ceremony….
b. There are many peoples today in ceremonies! But it is nothing more…
c. Imagine! They come to celebrate Passover and they find that Jesus is walking among them!
3. They Prepare to Honor Him!
a. "when they heard that Jesus was coming" (12b)
b. "They took branches of palm trees.." (13a)
c. Palm branches = honor
- a National Symbol - "ie" waving of our flag
B. Went Forth to Meet Him!
1. They acted! They moved! They did not wait.
2. They cried "Hosanna" (6 times in NT- all this event).
a. "Give Salvation Now" - "Give Victory Now"
3. "Blessed is the King!". (13b)
C. Christ the Humble One!
1. Read verse 14-15
2. He rode in on a small donkey.
Zech 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
2. In Humbleness he offers himself to the nation.
3. A King of Peace! Contrast this to the Nazi's, Korea, China..
D. The World Follows…
1. They ran out and met Him because they had seen/heard about a miracle! (17-18)
a. The rasing of Lazarus from the dead
2. And the Word follows (verse 19)
a. Do something spectacular and the world follows!
3. The Word wants a leader… People want to be lead…
4. But will their Faithfulness last?
II - Rejected
A. Indirect Reject
1. Luke 23:18 "Away with this man… Release unto us Barabbas"
a. He is now simply "this man".. They now want Barabbas
b. The world saw him bring the dead to life…
now they prefer a rOBber and murderer
B. Direct Rejection
1. Luke 23:20,21 "Crucify him, crucify him"
2. This Palm Sunday there will be pleas all around the world for individuals to accept Jesus.. the Saviour. . yet …
3. He will be rejected This Day! Many hearts will "Crucify Him!"
C. The Cause of the Rejection - (turn to Isaiah 53)
1. The Fact - Isaiah 53:3 "He is despised and rejected OF MEN"
a. "A Man of Sorrows" (vs. 3) because he "carried our sorrows" (vs 4)
b. We hid our faces…
c. He was despised
d. We esteemed [think of him] him not.
2. Yet.. the Rejected One does not reject us! (4,5)
a. Even though He: "hath born our griefs" verse 4
b. and he "carried our sorrows"
c. And Even more He "was wounded for our transgressions" (5)
d. and "bruised for our iniquities"
3. He took all this for you and for me…
1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
4. The Hard Truth - Why He was Rejected.. (6)
a. "All we like sheep have gone astray"
b. The prOBlem is SELF.
Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
c. James and John - came Mark 10:35
"Grant thay we may sit… one on right, one on left"
Mr 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Illustation: I've seen people come in for a year, a month, as short as a week… Buy all appearances they love Him… They appear to want to follow Him…
They cry our "Hosanna in the hightest"
But a year… a month… a week later… they are gone….
You go know on their door… They act like they don't even know you..
They once accepted… now they Reject!